Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

considering a 338xx?? or something

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2008, 03:34 PM
Bronze Member

considering a 338xx?? or something

I have a 7mmRem Mag Savage that I want to swap barrels with. I have a gap in my caliber collection now around the 338 dia region that I have the bug to fill. I think I may look into the following

338 fed - I think this is too small for my wishes
338-06 - I think this is to similar to my other guns

338win - my initial choice, but is it sexy enough, largest choice without a brake though

338-375ruger - probably too wild of a cat for me
338 dakota - I like this OAL, bolt head differences
340 weatherby - not a personal desire for me
338 rum - this one is starting to sound good,
338 edge - Since Im starting from scratch with a barrel, is this one worth the effort
338 lapua - cost
338-378 - even more cost

I would probably go with a shilen barrel, working with the 7mmRem Mag bolt head is a plus, and functioning thru the mag is a plus but not a show stopper since this will be a paper punching toy, not a hunting tool for the bear infested mountains.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:19 PM
Silver Member

Re: considering a 338xx?? or something

I think it all depends on what you are going to use this rig for? The 338 Rum. fills the gap very well and it's components aren't out of reach as say the Lapua.
No need to go longer than a 26" tube as the extra length only gains 40- 80 fps. If you have access to a Neco program check it out for your self. If recoil is in question then a muzzle brake or going to the 338 Win. mag will work also as would the 338-06 A-square as it is popular in Alaska.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:12 PM
Gold Member

I just recently rebarreled a 338 win mag into a 338RUM. The 338 win mag will have the same bolt face as your 7 rem mag. I did not have to do any bolt face work and my controlled round feed bolt face picks up and cylcles the 338RUM without a problem.

You need to think mainly about your mag length and the size of your ejection port. The 338RUM is a longer loaded cartridge than the win mags and even though you can seat your bullet deeper in the case and have your chamber reamed accordingly, you need to check and make sure that the ogives are not below the case mouths.

In preparation for my rebarrel, I got a bag of 338RUM cases and a box of bullets and seated a couple in the cases to test the mag length and the ejection port dimensions.

The 338RUM is an awesome cartridge pushing a 225 gr bullet at 3100 fps +. However you may be limited to a 338 win mag because of your action and mag.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:04 PM
Silver Member

Spin on a Shilen threded and chambered in 338 Edge they can even send it with a brake installed.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:29 AM
Platinum Member

I went from a 338 Win to the 338 RUM. Its a bigger jump than one would think.

Its a bigger jump from the win to the RUM than it is from the RUM to the Edge. Most folks seem to shoot their edges closer to RUM velocities than the achievable velocities of the Edge????

Also, a brake was a necessity on the Winny.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:39 AM
Bronze Member

thanks all

woods - were you concerned with the longer cartridge working with the magazine, I did not think this was possible. Or were you worried about ejecting a chambered and NOT fired round? I had not considered that to be a potential issue.

wadedc - who can send me a savage bolt-on with the brake? I need to call Accuracy Arms and ask them about this because I had intended to get a shilen barrel from him.

roy - I agree with your assessment of the relative strengths of the rounds. This is why I am not sure the edge brings enough to the table - that I want or can use - to justify the additional complexities, albeit somewhat small in this instance. I have only shot a 338 win about 4 rounds, the first couple felt somewhat normal, but after shots 3 and 4 you knew you were not shooting a 30-06 .

The Dakota and 338campfire seem like the more ideal final product for me, but I am not sure I want the additional case prep and tool expense that goes with them.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:22 PM
Silver Member

wadedc - who can send me a savage bolt-on with the brake? I need to call Accuracy Arms and ask them about this because I had intended to get a shilen barrel from him.

Shilen can they even list it on their website as $169 but I think install is extra my supplier quoted me $ 275 installed. here is the link to shilen:

Welcome to Shilen Rifles, Inc.