Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Confused on 7mm bullets for elk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2009, 12:00 AM
Silver Member

Confused on 7mm bullets for elk

Been trying to decide between the 160 Accubond and the 168 Berger for up to 800 yard shots out of a 7mm Rem Mag.

The 168 looks to perform ballistically better on paper but I am unsure what works best on game.

I've done a lot of searching but there doesn't seem to be conclusive data favoring one over the other.

Thanks for any help.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:24 AM
Silver Member

Re: Confused on 7mm bullets for elk

I like to use a minimum impact energy of 1500 ft-lbs for elk at maximum range. My 7mm Rem Mag load with a Sierra 160g SBT (2900 fps) crosses the 1500 threshold at 450 yds. If you can push your loads to 3200 fps the 1500 threshold extends out to 600yds.

Now, there a MANY OTHERS who get by with much less than 1500 ft-lbs. More than one elk has been fell using 750 ft-lbs impact energy by very skilled rifleman (& women) here on the this web site.

The key is percision shot placement and perfect wind conditions.

Bottom line, Little or no cross wind, standing broadside, you're good to go.

Snohomish Co. Washington
NRA Life Member
Old 02-26-2009, 09:44 AM
Gold Member

I'd give those Bergers a try.
I shoot the 180 gr VLD out of my 7mm RUM. Excellent performance on a nice cow Elk and my Mulie buck this season. Very accurate as well.
You'll not only get a higher rated bc bullet, but also the slightly heavier bullet will buck the wind better and have a higher retained energy.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:34 AM
Platinum Member

I'd use the 160g AB if it was me. I've played with both out of my 7 RM and they are both excellent bullets. I have found the Bergers to be VERY fragile and thus not really my type of bullet for elk hunting. I like to have 2 holes at any distance/angle, Bergers are hard pressed to do that at closer normal hunting ranges.

If your elk is broadside then I wouldn't hesitate to use either bullet.

I used the 168g and 180g vld on deer and wasn't very impressed on 2 of the 3 shot. They did die, however bullet performance was not ideal.

Shot 2 deer with the 168g. The first was behind the shoulder about 200 or so yards. Bullet performance was great on that deer. Bullet exited leaving about 2" hole and a blood trail that was a foot wide. 2nd deer was shot at 600 yards in the shoulder. Deer dropped but was not dead. Moving its head around and what not. I put another one in its neck and that killed it. Upon skinning/gutting, neither bullet exited and this was at 600 yards.

Next year I used the 180g vld thinking it would give better penetration and less expansion. Anyways, ended up shooting a buck about 100 yards in the shoulder and he just stood there. Put another one behind his shoulder and he still stood there. Few seconds later he tipped over. Both bullets exited, but they acted like FMJ's. pinsize exit holes and not a lot of internal damage.

I wont be using Bergers anymore, and especially not on a large bodied elk. If they aren't performaning great on deer, they aren't going to do any better on elk.

I'd shoot whichever is most accurate in your rifle and learn to pick your shots if the Berger is the one you decide to stick with.

Just my experience with them.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:55 PM
Silver Member

This is one reason why some like to aim high in the shoulders, they're hoping to "spine" the prey.
The margin for error is very small.

Snohomish Co. Washington
NRA Life Member
Old 02-26-2009, 02:13 PM
Gold Member

Location: Sagauache County, Co...3170 sq miles, not a single stop light!
may i suggest another?

i shot a 7 RM for yrs as my primary elk rifle. killed lots of elk with it. my favorite bullet was the 175 gr nosler partition bullet. this bullet shot great in my gun and i got great penetration and expansion. i once shot a bull that i thought was already hit..(my buddy had just fired at the same elk)..as he was headed away i shot him in the right ham, trying to quarter a shot into his vitals from the flank, from about 250yrds...we found the bull dead about 200yds away. after an autopsy was performed, the only shot found was mine. bullet had traveled all the way to the off should, thru the lungs....found the bullet just under the skin....perfect mushroom out to about 45 caliber....it must have traveled close to 50 inches thru this bull. AJ
Old 02-26-2009, 05:08 PM
Silver Member

accubond or partition