Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Composite barrels?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2002, 11:54 AM
Bronze Member

Composite barrels?

Asked this question on the other forum with no response, so here goes again.
Do any of you have any experience with the composite barrels, I believe they are carbon fiber. I have heard some things about them that sound a little fishy, but just hoping to get the the real story. Thanks much!!
Old 12-12-2002, 02:28 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Composite barrels?

I believe Len has tried them, maybe he'll share some info.
Old 12-12-2002, 06:43 PM
PUBLISHER

Well, they add a lot of cost to a rifle, reduce the weight a couple pounds (which may not really be a good thing anyway), add another variable, and make it tough to set back the chamber later.

I had 2 of them done by Christensen Arms. One on a Sako 75 action and one a rebarrel job on an existing Tikka action. The best groups I could get were about one inch at 100 for 3 shots. Not too impressed but I'm not sure you could say that was the result of the carbon fiber wrap rather than the gunsmith's skill with those particular actions. As an example he didn't know how to even up the contact pressure on a 3-lug bolt. I ended up re-barreling with Hart barrels and both guns now are around 1/2 moa shooters or nearly so.

Long Range Hunting Rifles

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 01-10-2003, 05:01 AM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Just a fact:

Carbon fiber is more brittle than steel.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 01-10-2003, 11:03 AM
Writers Guild

The carbon wrap barrels are only as good as the interior steel barrel. From what I have heard, the Christensen barrels were made with Shilen barrels. Not their match ones. So MOA or better performance is all I would expect.

They look nice but really are not any lighter or cool much faster. Designed primarily as a new widget. Claims of being stiffer leading to better accuracy has not panned out in real life. The quality of the rifled tube is all that matters.

For the money, get a Lilja, Hart or pac nor in a thinner contour. I bet these will shoot better at the same weight.

Nice toy...

Jerry