Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics


Reply

Comparing the Berger 210 VLD to the 215 Hybrid

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #15  
Old 05-04-2012, 03:05 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 967
re: Comparing the Berger 210 VLD to the 215 Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed View Post
Jeff, I think you'll find that you can run the 215 not only as fast as you did the 210 but possibly faster with the same pressures. I discovered this in my RUM. I believe it's a combination between a gentler hybrid nose angle entering the rifling and most of all the difference in bearing surfaces between the 210VLD and the 215 Hybrid.
Berger's tech data states that the bearing surfaces are as follows:

210 VLD .540"
215 Hybrid .419"

I will be working up a load for a friend this weekend in a 26" 300 Winchester Mag with the 215's. We will be trying H1000 and possibly Retumbo. Data shows we should be in the 2800fps neighborhood. I'll let you know what we come up with
Just looking at the two with my non scientific eye, the hybrid has less bearing surface due to it's longer boat tail. It will be interesting to see for sure how they do in the 300 Win. I absolutely love the 230's in about everything I've shot them in. These ought to be wicked medicine too.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-04-2012, 05:22 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Tillamook, Oregon
Posts: 401
re: Comparing the Berger 210 VLD to the 215 Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentc View Post
Just looking at the two with my non scientific eye, the hybrid has less bearing surface due to it's longer boat tail. It will be interesting to see for sure how they do in the 300 Win. I absolutely love the 230's in about everything I've shot them in. These ought to be wicked medicine too.
Brentc, yes they are wicked, long, sexy bullets. With .005" jump they wont fit in my extended mag on my RUM but I don't care. I too almost went the 230 target route but discovered at the velocities I could run the 230 compared to what the 215's run in my rifle, the 215's outperform the 230's in all categories at long range. Have a lot less drop with slightly more energy and velocity at 1K. The shorter bearing surface is a nice little plus to get that extra velocity too!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-04-2012, 07:43 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Townsend, Montana.
Posts: 7,919
re: Comparing the Berger 210 VLD to the 215 Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed View Post
, the 215's outperform the 230's in all categories at long range. Have a lot less drop with slightly more energy and velocity at 1K. !
Well thats what I want to prove to myself with side by side comparisons. And a wind drift test too.

Time will tell , but it still remains to be seen at my house..

Jeff
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-04-2012, 07:47 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Northern Id.
Posts: 3,441
re: Comparing the Berger 210 VLD to the 215 Hybrid

Might be a different story with the 230 Match instead of the 230 OTM? I don't doubt the 215's will shine at 1000 but the 230's will reverse it at 1500.....Rich
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-04-2012, 08:00 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Tillamook, Oregon
Posts: 401
re: Comparing the Berger 210 VLD to the 215 Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
Might be a different story with the 230 Match instead of the 230 OTM? I don't doubt the 215's will shine at 1000 but the 230's will reverse it at 1500.....Rich
You could be right Rich, I have not run the numbers and compared that far out. I was looking to extend my range to 1200 yards on elk and I feel the 215 at 3140fps will certainly do the job. Over 1200 on elk I'll be looking to an Edge with 300 OTM's
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-04-2012, 08:02 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Tillamook, Oregon
Posts: 401
re: Comparing the Berger 210 VLD to the 215 Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Well thats what I want to prove to myself with side by side comparisons. And a wind drift test too.

Time will tell , but it still remains to be seen at my house..

Jeff
Sometimes seeing is believing, I can appreciate that Jeff! Have you started load development yet with the 300 Win and 215's?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 05-04-2012, 08:04 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Northern Id.
Posts: 3,441
re: Comparing the Berger 210 VLD to the 215 Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumbleweed View Post
You could be right Rich, I have not run the numbers and compared that far out. I was looking to extend my range to 1200 yards on elk and I feel the 215 at 3140fps will certainly do the job. Over 1200 on elk I'll be looking to an Edge with 300 OTM's
Another part of the equation is "at what velocity will a Berger expand"? This might again give the edge to the 215; or maybe the 230 OTM? Lots to consider...Rich
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: Comparing the Berger 210 VLD to the 215 Hybrid
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Berger 7mm hybrid BC test elmerdeer Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 11 08-27-2012 02:53 PM
168 Berger Hybrid liltank Long Range Hunting & Shooting 11 01-01-2012 09:24 PM
berger 230 hybrid Chase Curtis Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 1 11-05-2011 05:18 PM
The Berger 300 gr Hybrid Gen 2 Shawn Carlock Long Range Hunting & Shooting 31 10-31-2011 07:59 AM
.308 230 grn Hybrid Berger? durak Long Range Hunting & Shooting 10 08-28-2011 10:09 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC