Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Comparing the Berger 210 VLD to the 215 Hybrid

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 02:42 PM
Gold Member

re: Comparing the Berger 210 VLD to the 215 Hybrid

No way! I already asked first but I think Jeff thought 44 was a little old to be adopted so I asked him if I could be him when I grow up then....

One thing Jeff has done for sure and that is he has put ANYONES concern/s about Berger's 215 as a hunting bullet to rest.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:03 PM
Platinum Member

44 is not too old to be adopted. I think that he should take both of us in.
Think of the deductions he will get...............

Randy

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than be in any city on earth." ---Steve McQueen
Old 11-22-2012, 03:50 PM
Platinum Member

Thanksgiving morning hunt with a friends brother-in-law and his 13 yr. old son. I put this herd to bed last night so I knew pretty much where we needed to be this morning. A short hike up to one of my favorite vantage points revealed they were in range. Now to find this young hunter his first bull. Located a 4x5 in the middle of the herd. range was 555 yards, wind was 4 o:clock at 10 mph. Dialed him in and talked him through the shot. Had to wait for cows to clear and check and recheck that we were on the right bull and not a spike.

He let a 215 Hybrid from my 300 win fly and I watched the bull hunch up and start to walk. The hit was a little too far back but it was obvious the bull was hurting. I had him chamber another and get back on him. By now the herd was moving away and the bull turned down hill. His rear went down first then his front and he expired. His dad was with us and had a cow tag. I asked if he wanted to use the rifle and fill his tag... he replied sure!!

We got his dad lined up on a cow that was not completely square to us at 535 yds. But he felt he could get the bullet in the vitals so I said either wait or send it if you are good. He sent it and the cow went straight down. We watched and her head came up about 2 or 3 times and with in 15 seconds she laid motionless.

As we got to the two elk we could see that neither bullet was what I call a good hit. But they did do the job.

Here are the pics.

The 13 yr. old hunter with his first ever bull.

Shot placement of the exit. Too far back and a little high.

exit hole.

entrance with hide off

Exit with hide off

Old 11-22-2012, 03:56 PM
Platinum Member

The cow at 535.

The shot placement here was way bad. Pic with hide off of entrance.

The angle of the cow was the biggest problem. Way more of a quartering shot than it appeared at the time of fire. Even the slightest angle will magnify the error in placement. Here is the exit high rear of far quarter.
I am shocked this one exited as it had to travel 16" and took out the spine on its way. It took out some major arteries and she bled out fast.

Old 11-22-2012, 04:05 PM
Platinum Member

Facts.
Impact velocity for both of these were about 2435 fps.
Energy was 2828 lbs.
Both exited with good sized exits.

I hate poor shot placements or even being part of them. I will not take an azz shot. Just don't need to kill something that bad. But I wanted to report these as well as they show the fact these bullets killed even when things go wrong. A little off on the wind, poor break of the trigger or an error in placement magnified by animal angle. Thank goodness both animals died quickly from loss of blood.

I continue to feel these bullets are doing a fine job for a true Long Range Hunting Bullet. These were #15 and #16 for big game kills this season with the same 300 win and the 215 Berger Hybrid.

So 16 and 0 ain't too shabby.

Jeff
Old 11-22-2012, 04:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
No way! I already asked first but I think Jeff thought 44 was a little old to be adopted so I asked him if I could be him when I grow up then....

One thing Jeff has done for sure and that is he has put ANYONES concern/s about Berger's 215 as a hunting bullet to rest.
or the hybrid target bullets for that matter, along with Eric's confirmation.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 11-22-2012, 04:13 PM
Platinum Member

Dang, looks like those bullets blew up then penciled through It sure is nice to shoot a bullet that grabs and trashes it way through animals. Great job guiding your hunters by the way, getting them on target and delivering a one shot kill!!!