Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics


Reply

Comparing the Berger 210 VLD to the 215 Hybrid

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #134  
Old 10-31-2012, 05:25 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Falls Church, VA
Posts: 3,258
re: Comparing the Berger 210 VLD to the 215 Hybrid

Do we have a sufficient body of evidence yet to say that the 215 hybrid is an effective hunting longrange hunting bullet?? ;)
__________________
I'm not gonna shoot here. I'm gonna shoot waaaaaaaay over there!
Reply With Quote
  #135  
Old 10-31-2012, 07:16 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Townsend, Montana.
Posts: 7,852
re: Comparing the Berger 210 VLD to the 215 Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebark View Post
Do we have a sufficient body of evidence yet to say that the 215 hybrid is an effective hunting longrange hunting bullet?? ;)
Well, it is only mid season, And this test media is so tastey I just can't quit.

What I am looking at now is will one fail. But I will admit with 8 antelope, 3 Bull Elk and 2 Deer they have proven worthy to me. 200 yards to 1285 yards. But I will limit the 300 win to 1000 on elk. As it has been said before there is no perfect bullet at all distances. I like this bullet better at 600 plus but it will sure kill effectively at all distances. Just some real carnage at the closer distances. What I need is a poke at a coyote past 1300 yards to see how it does below 1700 fps. But then I would seldome shoot at game past 1300 with a my 300 win. A yote or wolf, you bet.

Jeff
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #136  
Old 10-31-2012, 08:29 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Falls Church, VA
Posts: 3,258
re: Comparing the Berger 210 VLD to the 215 Hybrid

Thanks again for your great report and analysis. It's provided me with sufficient information to potentially make a change for one of my rifles....

My 300RUM by MCR shoots the 208Amax very accurately and the Amax is devastating on game. Although the RUM has the capability of shooting the 230hybrid really fast, I haven't made the switch because there is sufficient velocity loss with the 230 that the ballistics of the 208 are equal or better than the 230 out to about 1200. Once you get past 1200 the superior BC of the 230 really starts to shine. The problem with that for me is that 1200 is a bit beyond my ability at this point.

With the 215 though, it would provide the awesome BC AND minimal velocity loss AND devastating on game!

Thanks again for all the data points. You have succeeded in digging into my wallet and making MORE money fly out!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Well, it is only mid season, And this test media is so tastey I just can't quit.

What I am looking at now is will one fail. But I will admit with 8 antelope, 3 Bull Elk and 2 Deer they have proven worthy to me. 200 yards to 1285 yards. But I will limit the 300 win to 1000 on elk. As it has been said before there is no perfect bullet at all distances. I like this bullet better at 600 plus but it will sure kill effectively at all distances. Just some real carnage at the closer distances. What I need is a poke at a coyote past 1300 yards to see how it does below 1700 fps. But then I would seldome shoot at game past 1300 with a my 300 win. A yote or wolf, you bet.

Jeff
__________________
I'm not gonna shoot here. I'm gonna shoot waaaaaaaay over there!
Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old 10-31-2012, 10:47 PM
B23 B23 is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Spokane, Wa.
Posts: 932
re: Comparing the Berger 210 VLD to the 215 Hybrid

Ok Jeff, new rules that apply just for you and your 300Win Mag and those 215's. To make it fair for the animals I've put together a new set of rules for you.

1001+ yds you get to shoot however you want.

801-1000yds you have to shoot left handed.

601-800yds you have to shoot standing.

0-600yds you have to shoot with both eyes closed. Now you can open your eyes before you pull the trigger and after but while your squeezing, the trigger that is, both eyes must remain closed.
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old 10-31-2012, 10:55 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Tillamook, Oregon
Posts: 392
re: Comparing the Berger 210 VLD to the 215 Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
Ok Jeff, new rules that apply just for you and your 300Win Mag and those 215's. To make it fair for the animals I've put together a new set of rules for you.

1001+ yds you get to shoot however you want.

801-1000yds you have to shoot left handed.

601-800yds you have to shoot standing.

0-600yds you have to shoot with both eyes closed. Now you can open your eyes before you pull the trigger and after but while your squeezing, the trigger that is, both eyes must remain closed.
He would still outshoot most of us!!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old 10-31-2012, 11:10 PM
B23 B23 is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Spokane, Wa.
Posts: 932
re: Comparing the Berger 210 VLD to the 215 Hybrid

Oh hell, give Jeff a little more credit than that. It doesn't take much to out shoot me. I'm just trying to make it a little more challenging for him. I'd hate to see Jeff get bored, quit, and go fishing because it was getting to easy for him. Then who would we get all our information from.
Reply With Quote
  #140  
Old 11-01-2012, 08:18 AM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 48
re: Comparing the Berger 210 VLD to the 215 Hybrid

Broz:

The good folks at Berger and Midway have you to thank for the new box of 215's that arrived at my door yesterday. I'm looking forward to building up a round for my 300 RUM, and am grateful to you and the other fellows who have made this such a great and informative post. I was looking at the box where it says, "Not Suitable for Hunting". It should say right below that, Unless you're sure you can afford to pay the man at the meat locker for 13 animals and counting. Thanks and keep it up!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads for: Comparing the Berger 210 VLD to the 215 Hybrid
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Berger 7mm hybrid BC test elmerdeer Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 11 08-27-2012 02:53 PM
168 Berger Hybrid liltank Long Range Hunting & Shooting 11 01-01-2012 09:24 PM
berger 230 hybrid Chase Curtis Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics 1 11-05-2011 05:18 PM
The Berger 300 gr Hybrid Gen 2 Shawn Carlock Long Range Hunting & Shooting 31 10-31-2011 07:59 AM
.308 230 grn Hybrid Berger? durak Long Range Hunting & Shooting 10 08-28-2011 10:09 AM

Current Poll
Do you archery hunt for elk?
YES - 34.40%
118 Votes
NO - 48.69%
167 Votes
Not yet, but I plan to. - 16.91%
58 Votes
Total Votes: 343
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC