Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Comparing Ballistic programs???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2006, 07:38 AM
Gold Member

Comparing Ballistic programs???

Has anyone ever taken the same BC, same mets, and same wind, and run them through all the programs they could fine for, say 1,200 yds @ 50yd intervals, and a 10mph-3:00 wind, and then plotted all of the output data???

LRH member #23
Old 12-13-2006, 09:08 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Comparing Ballistic programs???

CatShooter

I've run several on mine against some commercial and JBM (of course) for comparison with what I'd call pleased results.

I'm hadn't considered running any series in a cross check manner... It'd be a good comparison but but I believe it'd need to be done by one person and not a common seed files/data farmed out to several sites.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:56 AM

I have compared RSI, Reloaders Archive, and JBM,Exbal and barnes. If the same atmosheric data and bullet info is used, they have all been within an inch of eachother. RSI and JBM lets you use differant drag models such as G1, G5 and G7. Relaoders archive lets you use a number in place of the G factor like for G1, you use .290 From there, its all about manipulating the drag model number or the G model along with the BC to equal your real world data. Barnes doesnt allow you to change barometric pressure or humidity, they are defaulted at the standard.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:16 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

[ QUOTE ]
Barnes doesnt allow you to change barometric pressure or humidity, they are defaulted at the standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it wont let you adjust drag functions either. That was my first commercial calculator, hence the birth of The Reloader's Archive. It also lets a shooter fill the gaps between regular drag models (G1, G5, G7 etc...)to create his own personal trajectory. In most cases, the BC decay (drag function) and BC can be adjusted together in differant directions to get more precise drop charts. Most shooters who struggle to create an accurate drop chart find they can create one near perfect with TRA vs some of the other programs out there.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.