Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

combined technology bullets?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2006, 08:21 PM
Platinum Member

combined technology bullets?

Howdoo,

Do you guys like the combined technology bullets w/ lubalox?

And is the bc the same as the uncoated nosler bullet?
Midway shows the CT .257 -115gr at 453 bc i think and the Nosler 115 bal. tip less [393].Are they the same?
Old 04-09-2006, 07:04 AM

Re: combined technology bullets?

noslers website shows 115 bt with a .453 bc and a 100 bt with a .393 bc.
Old 04-09-2006, 08:21 AM
Silver Member

I've never shot the Nosler combined technology bullets but I have shot alot of Nosler partitions.100 gr and 120 gr I use Serrias 117 gr.
Old 04-09-2006, 09:01 AM
Platinum Member

I looked far and wide on noslers site for the -bc's before i asked.
I had to go to nosler reloading and root-around for 20 minutes then saw the little yellow box at the bottom of the page-bullet details.
Anyway thanks for the info still wondering about the lubalox coating and how it fouls? ME
Old 04-09-2006, 09:14 AM
Platinum Member

It is my understanding that when Nosler started making the bullets for Winchester the coating they used is Moly not Lubalox
I have read this in a few of the Gun Rags so take the info as such,sometimes thier info is not the best
Old 04-09-2006, 09:47 AM
Silver Member

this is the info i was given when i asked the sam question
hop it helps

BST's are related to Nosler Ballistic Tips. BT's have had mixed results in the field over the years. Some great! and some awful. Some report horrendous meat damage, others have reported them acting like solids. Personally, I would not use BST's on game because I do have so many other choices that are more reliable. The coating is Lubalox, a material Winchester has used on bullets that helps reduce fouling. Here's a quote from Nosler:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NO, Lubalox (CT Ballistic Tip) is an oxide-based coating, which reduces fouling and allows more shooting between cleanings, also Lubalox does not buildup in the barrel and requires only normal cleaning procedures.

If it is a non-magnum and the muzzle velocity is below 3000fps, you are probably better off.Magnum muzzle velocities put an enormous stress on bullet construction if used for relatively short shots. My 270WSM 130gr load is consistently just over 3300fps, hence I use a bonded core bullet. My 140gr load is the Barnes TSX, a very good tough bullet. With the TSX, I don't need a 150gr or 160gr load because the weight retention is so high on the TSX.
Another good choice of bullet genre for thin skinned animals up to say 400lbs or so are the newer series of polymer tipped bullets with bonded cores. e.g. Nosler AccuBond, Hornady InterBond and Swift Scirocco. I have developed a load with the Scirocco in my 270WSM that is just superb using Alliant ReLoder 19. Re22 & Re25 also work well with the heavy bullet for caliber combinations. Hodgdon's H4831 and H4350 can also work very well too.
Old 04-09-2006, 01:43 PM
Bronze Member

I do know the Lubalox WILL build up and it is an EXPLETIVE to remove if it isn't cleaned frequently. In my barrel that was 30ish shots, yours will vary, you know that. Other than costing $3 more and box and having a gay coating [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img], they are ballistic tips with different BCs.