Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

cold bore shot through chrony 40fps higher than next four shots

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2010, 06:57 PM
Silver Member

cold bore shot through chrony 40fps higher than next four shots

I bought a new Savage Mod 10 FCP HS Precision in 308. The first cold bore shot is between 2885 and 2875 and the next four shots split hairs with 2846. This is the only factory rifle I own, none of my customs cold bore shot is any differ through the chrony. I did break the bl in and have about 50 more rounds down the tube. It doesn't make any differ clean or little dirty always around 40fps higher. I guess my question is should i make a drop chart with cold bore bullet speed or just average of the five shots like the others.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:03 PM
Platinum Member

Re: cold bore shot through chrony 40fps higher than next four shots

Two things described here aren't normal..
1. Velocity is normally LOWER from a cold bore.
2. Barrels are barrels and all usually do this. It's not like an aftermarket barrelmaker has designed away the cause of lower MV first shots.

How you would get higher MV 1st shots is a mystery to me.
But if you're a hunter, the first shot is what matters. The fifth shot doesn't matter at all.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:30 AM
Gold Member

I am no expert but I found most of my work up loads are faster from a cold bore but I can find a powder charge around max that tightens up the velocity and that load so far has bean the most accurate anyway, so you may want to change your powder charge slightly and see if the spread changes. Of course it's true when hunting the first one is the only one and anything else is an act of desperation, but you should know how it will act in case you need it. Life happens and it isn't always pretty. Good luck.
Old 11-24-2010, 06:36 AM
Gold Member

My cold bore shot with my new 30-06 is 20FPS slower than the next shots. I used the first shots speed for my drop chart.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."-- Samuel Adams
Old 11-24-2010, 04:14 PM
Silver Member

Im going to start reloading for this one pretty soon. I am shooting fed gold medal match 168 now. The spread after the cold bore shot is within 10 fps for 4 shots which to me is amazing for factory loads. What is funny is this thing shoots one hole groups even with the cold bore shot being 40fps faster. Im going to shoot some 600 yard groups cold and see if it makes a big differ at that range. thanks for the input this one has got me stumped.