Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Cold bore shot group vs Warm bore shot group

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2007, 05:04 PM
Silver Member

Mike the problem IS torque. A bipod will not, can not, "bounce" the same way off of different surfaces. The more the gun recoils the worse the torque is. Bipods can, and are, used to great affect all the time, but the "harmonics" will be more consistent off a bag or pack. If a gun is having such consistency problems depending on where it's placed in the bags, theres a problem.

Regardless, one's concepts are dependent on there situation and experiences. If the bipods are working for you, stay with it. Where I work there is an increasing trend to dump the bipod... Depending.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:16 PM
Platinum Member

I have added a second sling stud for use with a bi-pod. It is just in front of the recoil lug. I admit that it reduces the length of the rifle/ shooter, but since I use a synthetic stock that may bounce I think that it is a very good trade-off.

edge.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:23 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles A View Post
Mike the problem IS torque. A bipod will not, can not, "bounce" the same way off of different surfaces. The more the gun recoils the worse the torque is. Bipods can, and are, used to great affect all the time, but the "harmonics" will be more consistent off a bag or pack. If a gun is having such consistency problems depending on where it's placed in the bags, theres a problem.

Regardless, one's concepts are dependent on there situation and experiences. If the bipods are working for you, stay with it. Where I work there is an increasing trend to dump the bipod... Depending.

Like Charles says I am not blaming the bipod nor certainly am I suggesting Alan G get rid of his bipod. I am simply suggesting the elimination of some potential variables in Alan's quest to become a more effective field shooter.
When things come back together variables can be added one at a time.

Whan all else fails....drop back and punt!

Works for me.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:58 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Cold bore shot group vs Warm bore shot group

YouTube - Recoil Management, *Bipods Don't Hop*

Loading the bipod. Titles "Bipods dont Hop".

Have a look. Seems to me that even with the big guns (it even says it in one of these videos) that the 300WSM can be held on target at 100 yards.

Bipods are not as bad as people think. What is important is that no matter what you plan on hunting with, PRACTICE. Not just blow rounds down range. Perfect practice makes perfect. Treat every bullet like it is the last one on earth.

That said, no matter how you practice, use in practice what you are going to take to the field. If you dont plan on packing a 25 pound sand bag, dont shoot off of one in practice. If you plan on shooting off of a back pack with 3 days of food, you had better be practicing shooting off of that.