Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Cold bore shot group vs Warm bore shot group

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2007, 08:20 AM
Gold Member

Thats interesting, here is my issue with it...You have 3, 3 shot groups with the same issue and the way youve done it is a pretty darn good way to look at your repeatabilty...You have proven the first shot groups differently than the rest of the group day after day.

Now you need to figure out why?

Im with GG on the fact that reling on a spotter shot is a gamble what if you have time for only one? Your outa gas!

I would go back put that baby on a bench until I a 1/2 INCH or better 100 yd group....then do your 3 day test again....from a bench.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:15 AM
Platinum Member

I once had dealing with a tactical 308 that was custom built with a Hart barrel I believe , this gun would shoot the cold bore shot 1"high and 3/4" left every time , the following 4 shots would make a nice tight cluster around the 1/2" mark with Factory Federal ammo. We did roughly the same test you did , took it out 5 days in a row but we only fired one shot at the same target from the cold bore , the five day five shot group was just around 3/4". This gun would also throw out the first round from a clean barrel.

So basicaly you might just have a quirky gun , or their maybe some contact in your barrel channel , your action screws could be in a bind , your action could be in a bind , all of the above things can cause trouble with first round fliers. No matter how great your stock is it will move as the temperature changes , so if your gun sits in the nice warm hose all day and night then gets put out into cold weather their might be some movement and the first shot settles the gun back to its "wanted" shooting position. Now remember by movement I'm talking very small , like in the thousandths..

Just some things to consider , and I would suggest never shooting a spotter round when hunting , you should be able to call your first shot from a cold bore everytime , if not then their is some sort of problem , like mentioned above , or it could be you and not your gun or load , if your wearing a differant jacket , don't have the same cheek weld , the bi-pod could be preloaded for the first shot or vise versa , their are just to many variables in this test to make an accurate determination on the problem.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:37 AM
Platinum Member

IMO, either fix a bedding issue or find a different load. I bet that with either more / less powder, different powder, different bullet you will be able to get the consistency you need.

edge.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:12 AM
Platinum Member

For a hunting rifle, don't even bother with the second & third shots.

You have the right idea with accepting your current limit. By finding this out, your well on the way to getting what you need.

Developing loads for CB performance is no different other than it takes a lot more time. Once you've done it your perspectives on real long range shooting will change -bigtime.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:26 PM
Gold Member

Eleviate?

GG,

Would you please expound on "eleviate the stress in your equipment "?

I hope to not replace the barrel. It's a new 1:11, 3 groove Lilja I just had installed last November and according to my primer count, I've only got a little over 400 rounds through it. It is quite skinny though; .542" at the 26" muzzle.

JJ,

I'll be working up some 200 gr Nosler AB and 210 Berger VLD's this Fall/Winter.

Also, the four mornings I shot, I was wearing the same t-shirt (pretty smelly), shooting over the same Harris bipod, over the same trunk lid, all within 15 minutes of first light, no wind. The 4th group this am put the 1st shot just touching the bottom of the 3rd mornings shot at 1 o'clock. Subsequent 2 shots were again, within the red square.
Old 10-05-2007, 11:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecr View Post
For a hunting rifle, don't even bother with the second & third shots.

I have to totally disagree with this statement unless it is coming from the POV of trying to find a POI on paper for experimental reasons of a cold bore shot like what Alan is doing. Hunting rifles need to be accurate for more than just one shot and need to be repeatable in case the first shot misses and trying to find a load or troubleshoot problems until you find consistent cold bore shots and subsequent shots if at all possible is a worthy endeavor.
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.
Old 10-06-2007, 12:03 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Griffith View Post
GG,

Would you please expound on "eleviate the stress in your equipment "?

It is possible that you have stress in the barrel, stress in your bedding system, stress in the receiver threads with them not being straight, or a recoil lug that is stressed. All of these things could change POI when the heat of the barrel increases and spreads. Troubleshooting this problem is extensive and frustrating for sure. Good luck.
Pull it
Dump it

If it's not far, it's boring.