Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Cold Bore POI

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2010, 06:52 AM
Bronze Member

Cold Bore POI

I have a Stevens 200 in 7mm-08 and I am using the factory barrel. It is a good shooter and I am not really trying to put a new barrel on it until this one burns out. I am starting to log my cold bore shots with this rifle. I am consitently shooting my 300yd cold bore shot 6-8" high. After the CB, POI falls into compliance and groups good. Is this normal with Factory barrels? I will admitt the stick on my Stevens is quite skinny. I have a friend that has a Rem 770 in 270 Winch and I'll be damned if that thing at 300yds wont put a CB shot 1-2" to the right of warm barrel POI every time. The 770 has a thicker barrel on it too. Does barrel thickness have anything to do with it also? I'm not really worried about the CB POI being high, I just know where to hold now for a CB shot. I was just wondering if this is a normality with factory barrels.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:37 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Cold Bore POI

My Savage model 12 would put the CB shot 1moa low and 1moa left till I trued the face of the action and nut and put a ground recoil lug on. Now I can shoot several shots a 1000+yrds and you can not pick out the CB shot, it will group just like the rest. Not saying that it is a fix for all but it did help mine.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 10-14-2010, 09:16 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
trued the face of the action
Could you plese explain to me what that means? Thank you.....
Old 10-14-2010, 01:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
My Savage model 12 would put the CB shot 1moa low and 1moa left till I trued the face of the action and nut and put a ground recoil lug on. Now I can shoot several shots a 1000+yrds and you can not pick out the CB shot, it will group just like the rest. Not saying that it is a fix for all but it did help mine.
That dreaded Savage 'nut' again!!!
Old 10-14-2010, 10:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracker12ga View Post
Could you plese explain to me what that means? Thank you.....
Sure, I removed the barrel and barrel nut and chucked the action in a jig in a lathe and dialed it in so that it was turning square to the bolt race way and then I lightly face of the action making it true to the bore of the action. Then I faced of the nut and replace the stamped, warped recoil lug with a precision ground lug. This all allowed the barrel to be in alignment with the bore of the action and there was no odd stress induced by a bad barrel and action connection. This all worked for me with this particular action but it may not be for the next one. Having all your parts true makes for the best you can have with those particular components but you can still have CB changes with even the best of rifles. That is about the extent of my knowledge, I have had these few thing work for me so far.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 10-15-2010, 06:49 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the intell.