Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Cold

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2008, 10:45 AM
Silver Member

Cold

What effect should I expect the sudden onset of winter to have on my POI in my 7RM? The temp has dropped as much as 60 F.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:05 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Cold

If the gun is bedded properly and their is suffecient relief around the barrel to allow for a little movement in the wood from the temp and humidity change (assuming its wood) their should be no differance in the weapon.

BUT , some factory ammo will have some changes with big temp swings as will some handloaded ammo depending on the powder and primers used.

I have put my loaded ammo in the freezer to check the differances in velocity and such before going on a hunt up north as our winters rarely get to the freezing point for more than a few hrs at a time so if i make my ammo and shoot it and all is well at 50 deg then go to Alberta and its -10 then i want to know what the rifle is gonna do their , reguardless I always shoot once at the camp to make sure everything is working correctly.

another thing you may want to thing about is the oil or greese used to lube the internals , some of that stuff will freeze down close to zero degrees.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:13 AM
Silver Member

I've dried up my action. I'm shooting a Vanguard,synthetic stock, Winchester Ballistic Silvertips 150gr.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:33 PM

According to the Army field manual 23-10:

"The higher the temperature, the less dense the air. If the shooter zeros at 60 degrees F and he fires at 80 degrees, the air is leas dense, thereby causing an increase in muzzle velocity and higher point of impact. A 20-degree change equals a one-minute elevation change in the strike of the bullet."
Old 10-13-2008, 12:46 PM
Silver Member

Thanks. So I was right on.

I increased my elevation by 2 MOA figuring the temp could increase as the day went on.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlfdg View Post
Thanks. So I was right on.

I increased my elevation by 2 MOA figuring the temp could increase as the day went on.

Shoot it in the temps you will be hunting at at the distances you will be hunting at. There's no other way to know for sure what will happen. Too many variables. Typically, you'll lose some velocity which would likely cause a lower POI. But, I wouldn't generalize the situation. Shoot it and find out what it's doing before you shoot at a critter. JMHO. Good luck hunting.

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 10-13-2008, 07:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmden View Post
Shoot it in the temps you will be hunting at at the distances you will be hunting at. There's no other way to know for sure what will happen.
I would agree. The greater the range, the more important to shoot the rifle to check POI before shooting at the game.