Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Coin flip bullet choice.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2005, 09:05 PM
Platinum Member

Coin flip bullet choice.

If I get the draw I will be going black bear hunting this spring. I will be going for bear for the first time. The bear will be grazing on wild onions and not baited or hunted with dogs. I will be using a .308 win out of my rem vls.

Should I use a SGK 165 gr bullet or a Nosler 168 gr J4? What would you consider a max range for this cartridge and black bears.

Or should I scrap that idea all together and use my brothers rem .338 win mag at standard hunting distances (< 200 yds)? (which bullet for this option?)
Old 01-18-2005, 12:26 AM
Gold Member

Re: Coin flip bullet choice.

Either gun would work. Why not use a 150 Barnes X in your 308 and drive it to max velocity. It will shoot thru any black bear you will encounter and still function at long ranges & short ranges. If you use the 338, try the 185 Barnes and max it out. If you can't tell, I think the Barnes X bullets in all flavors are about the best out there for big game at any range. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-18-2005, 02:22 AM
Silver Member

180gr Nosler Accubonds! You saw how well they smoked your gong at 400 yards. They were going about the same speed as your 168 J4's. Either that, or I have a few 165gr BT's laying around.

If you still can't decide what gun to use, you could take my 300 mag - just as long as I get some bear summer sausage [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 01-18-2005, 11:55 PM
Platinum Member

You'll get some bear sausage either way so don't worry 'bout that.

I'd rather use my own gun with one of the loads I already have dope on. I just remember asking a similar question last year and some of the guys cautioned that even with good hits the bear is going to run for it. Since there ain't many folks posting about kills with J4s I thought I would ask.

If I use bills .338 it would be a good excuse to work up a simple all around load and give his gun a point blank range zero for a 8" kill zone. Thereby killing two birds (and a bear) with one stone.

Thanks for the offer though.
Old 01-19-2005, 08:33 PM

The 165gr GK should work fine.

Regards,
Maarten

"If you're gonna shoot, shoot, don't talk." The Ugly
Old 01-21-2005, 11:53 AM
Platinum Member

Any experience with them? At what range?

Also welcome aboard.
Old 01-27-2005, 08:40 PM
Silver Member

I'am afarid I can't go along with the choise of the Barnes X bullet unless you are sure of close range! In my experance they act like a solid at lower velocitys (long range) Had the effect for me on a blackie at a little over 400 yds of punching right on through the shoulders not broken but looked like they had been drilled. Shot this old bore six times and was reloading when he went down. Of course that is my only time using them. I have since that time switched to Woodliegh and have used them on everything Alaska has to offer. No problems so far, They have never made another track. Do your part and put'em in the shoulder with a Woodleigh and you will change your status from hunter to cooley labourer. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]