Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Close range VLD Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2008, 06:40 PM
Gold Member

Re: Close range VLD Question

If using the VLD at close range just be prepared for an explosion and poof of fur. That is my experience with 185gr. outa a 300WSM at around 3060FPS on coyotes. deffinatly a hit and drop bullet, depositing nearly all of its energy on the way through.
Savage Target Action 6mm-284
Savage Target Action 6.5x47 Lapua
Savage Predator Hunter Max1 6.5-284 Norma
Savage Predator Hunter Max 1 22-284 Norma
Savage Bear Hunter 338 Win Mag
"Gotta Kill It Before You Can Grill It"

Last edited by ZSteinle; 12-30-2008 at 12:14 AM.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:53 PM
Platinum Member

Just got some of the taxidermy back from 2007 and the first of 2008. Everything you see here ( plus some whitetails not pictured) were taken with 210 VLD's out of my 30-378. All free ranging game and none had to be tracked. Ranges were from 150 to 500 yards. I like the Bergers.

Jeff

Old 12-29-2008, 09:54 PM
Silver Member

This year I used my .257 weatherby mark V, with a 115 gr. berger VLD @ 3360fps, to kill 7 animals from Wyoming to New York. 6 were deer and one was a bull elk. not one including the elk, made it more than 20 yards period. I took a 125 lbs. doe after just arriving in wyoming the first afternoon at 20 feet. Yes, feet, not yards. The bullet left a 2" exit and both lungs hung in the trees about 10 feet back! I was amazed to say the least! I shot the doe because I was somwhat skeptical on having the bullet blow up and not penetrate. I then took a bull elk the following day at 130yrds. I thought he was much bigger than he was, ended up scoring under 300". It was my first elk and I definatly jumped the gun. It looked huge standing there in the pines. no exit but it only ran 15 yards. I shot it broad side just a couple of inches behind the shoulder blade. I have no clue what it weighed but I couldn't drag it by myself I then took two bucks over the next week, an 8 and a 10, both roughly 160-175lbs. in WY and SD. both were dead before they hit the ground. 2" exit hole in both. one was shot in the neck and one through the ribs on the onside and out the shoulder blade. I was amazed at the similarity in exit holes to be honest. both bucks were taken at around 100 yards. I did not have reason to range it as it was not at all long range after I returned to New York I shot a 150 lbs. 7 pointer at 430yards in and out through the ribs broad side, golf ball sized exit again. the other two were does with similar results. I only took this rifle because It was all I had availible besides my 14 lbs. long range rig. my 7 ultra is currently awaiting new glass after a bad experience with a Ziess, and my other rifle, a 338 wsm, is with kirby getting finishing touches. Would I bring this rifle again on the same hunt? Only, if I had to. I had to be sure I kept all my shots back behind the heavy bone. Not somthing you want to worry about if a trophy is standing in front of you. You must pick your shots carfully. I would much rather have the old ultra mag. at my shoulder. The main thing though is if you are comfortable with the weapon. If you are and have no trouble putting the lead where you want then I will garuntee you it will kill the hell out of whatever you shoot at.

As a side note I did fire this load into water jugs and clay before live game so I did do my homework and I also fired 240 rds. this summer out of this rifle for practice as well as about 500rds. between my other two rifles over the summer, anywheres from 25 to 675 yards.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:20 PM
Silver Member

Check out the damage to this antelope shot at 100 yards with a 300 RUM/190 VLD.Wyoming Speed Goat vs 300 RUM

I think the VLD will perform fine at close range, maybe even over perform as in my case. However, that was a lot of horsepower to slam an antelope with at that range.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:28 AM
Silver Member

Broz,

Or anyone else,

Did any of you take some odd angle shots using the VLD? Or hit shoulder blades or bones?
Old 12-30-2008, 08:28 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by su37 View Post
Broz,

Or anyone else,

Did any of you take some odd angle shots using the VLD? Or hit shoulder blades or bones?
Yes, The Elk and Muley were both shoulder shot. The Elk just froze, so I gave him another. Both were 3" apart, through the shoulder, jellowed the lungs, and stopped almost through the other shoulder. Here are pics.

Entrance shoulder,

Enter rib cage

Oposite shoulder trama.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:32 AM
Platinum Member

Aoudad was at 205 yards. Dropped like he was struck by lightning. Never kicked.

Bullet made a clean passthrough. exit was only about an inch. Here is his heart wit a nice hole through it.