Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Close Range MK Results

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2002, 07:49 AM
Silver Member

Close Range MK Results

Well, everyone asked the question "How do MK's perform at close range?" So, I found out.

I just returned from the ranchette, (leaving again today BTW [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ). I took the Lapua into the stand loaded with 250 gr MK's. I watched several does mill around about 20 yards in front of the stand for about 30 min, with some does coming as close as 6 FEET. Since here in TX we can take 3 does, I decided to test the close range MK theory.

I picked out a the largest of the bunch and shot her at a grand total of 18 yards. The doe was facing me, so I hit her tight in front the front shoulder, the bullet broke the front shoulder bone and exited about 4 inches in front of the opposing rear leg.

The bullet did well, but the jacket was found under the hide on the off side. I lost about half of the font shoulder due to bloodshot and bone fragments. no other meat was lost.

This proves two points to all of the doubters:

1. MK's work fine at close range
2. Long Range hunter do know how to get close to deer.

In summery, do matchkings work at close, just ask the doe that is cut up in the freezer.

Jim
Old 11-09-2002, 05:01 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Close Range MK Results

I'd guess that shooting a doe, from 18yds, with a 338 Lapua would require nothing more than wooden bullets. Although the splinters could be a problem. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
VH

[ 11-09-2002: Message edited by: Varmint Hunter ]
Old 11-09-2002, 11:10 PM
Silver Member

One other benefit:

No skinning or deboning required! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-10-2002, 06:35 AM
Silver Member

338Lapua, I know that the term "long range hunting" is a personal thing and that we all have to play within our abilities, but really now, 18 yards? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

You don't think you were "under gunned" for that barrel stretching distance do you?

Thanks for the report on how well the SMK's did up close. I guess they work at long range and they work at close range, just not at any other range.
Old 11-13-2002, 04:28 PM
Silver Member

Just got back and reading the replies.

Yes I think the Lapua is quite adequate for does at 18 yards! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Suprisingly she did run about 20 yards after being shot. As I said before, I only lost about half of one shoulder. As far as long range, if I had carried a big rock into the stand I could of killed the one that walked nearly underneath me.

This week was pretty uneventful as far as the deer hunting goes. We only saw a few, but the damn turkeys need to be thinned out!!!

Jim
Old 11-14-2002, 08:20 AM
Platinum Member

338 Lapua

Glad you found out what the MK does at "real" close range. Was there any doubt in this one, as that doe took ALL the energy in that shot? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
I think you will find the same results at any range you use the MK bullets at.

RBrowning

I have killed animals (deer and elk) from 50 yards to 2100 yards and all ranges in between using the Match King bullets. They have ALWAYS performed extremely well for me regardless of the distance.
The ONLY time I would use any other bullet would be if I were going after large Grizz or African Dangerous game where I wanted the bullet to "not expand" as much and penitrate deeper into HEAVY bone.
For "any" thin skinned game such as deer, elk, moose, black bear, carabou, antelope and such, I will have a Match King on top of my favorite load. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Just an opinion from this old shooter/hunter in actual field tests on game over the last 40 years or more.

DC
Old 11-14-2002, 02:32 PM
Silver Member

The buck i hit at over 200 yards with a 200 SMK out of a 300 Weatherby went down like a ton of bricks. It was quartering towards me. The bullet went through the shoulder, destroyed the heart and exited through the 2nd to last rib on the animals left side. It didn't hit any of the digestive tract. What I can't figure out, the spine was smashed, and I can't seem to figure out how. The skin was not penetrated by anything in this area. There was some blood under the skin where this happened, and the surrounding area, but no bullet fragments, just bone. Wonder if a shoulder bone shot up there and did this? Kinda strange, but he's still hangin' waiting to be butcherd! When a deer drops like that you just can't think "AT what point did the bullet fail?" Try askin that buck that!