Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

cleaning up SMK bullet tip?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2004, 06:34 PM
Bronze Member

cleaning up SMK bullet tip?

I was just wondering. one thing I noticed is that if you look at the tips of SMK bullets, the edge around the small hallow point is irregular. just seems to me that this should effect accuracy. has anyone taken the time to just slightly square off the tip to help accuracy? in a world where everything associated with a cartridge will affect accuracy if not uniform, it just seems to me like this should be an obvious correction. I was just wondering if gently filing the tips of these bullets to make them uniform would help.
Old 12-06-2004, 07:52 PM
Bronze Member

Re: cleaning up SMK bullet tip?

Dr John, I do believe that David Tubb of long range fame has a tool which is specifically directed at this obvious little trouble spot. I do think that as one eliminates the variables, one shoots tighter groups or further first round center hits.
Old 12-06-2004, 08:19 PM
Platinum Member

Yep Tubb makes a tool that makes all the bullets tips concentric and even with one another , I've heard that it does slightly drop the BC of the bullet but making all the bullets have the same BC which I believe is a better trade off anyway
Old 12-06-2004, 08:23 PM
Gold Member

I have one made by Dave Tooley http://www.tooleyrifles.com/ works good
Crow Mag
Old 12-06-2004, 09:27 PM

I have the one dave makes as well... lowers the B.C. a bit but you gain a bit of consistiency... nice tool easy to use....

and Dave is just one hell of a nice guy too.. give him a call....
Old 12-06-2004, 09:54 PM
Bronze Member

Dr john,I have made 4 different designs of meplat trim tool as a progression to try for the perfect bullet tip..Long story short the latest version is nearly the same as the unit Dave T sells for $40,follow the prompts by Crowmag..My bullets are fairly blunt,don't have BC figures but they lose only 1/2 a minute in elevation @ 1000yds from trimmed to untrimmed..One thing not mentioned here is after you trim the point(meplat)it is easier to inspect..I use a 10 power loupe to pick up badly formed jackets,when the bullet is pointed up sometimes it folds enevenly on the inside,hard to see with the std bullet but stands out after cutting..These faulty bullets in my tests leave the group everytime....JR..Jeff Rogers
Old 12-07-2004, 09:12 AM
Silver Member

I have the Tooley version for .338 and 6.5. For the .338, and a minimum clean up, I notice no drop in BC at 600 yards (not one click). I trim, then moly (vibratory), this smooths the edge.