Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

cleaning rifle itself?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 05:24 AM
Gold Member

Re: cleaning rifle itself?

kroil is pretty agressive penetrating oil. I sure its fine for bores and for blued guns but i wouldnt leave it on anything that was plated. I know that it will get under nickle plated guns and eventualy cause damage to the finish. Could be its fine on these new high tech finishes as they may bond better, but i myself wouldnt take that chance.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:04 PM
Platinum Member

i rarely clean anything. Every 100 to 150 rounds i give the whole rig a good once over, from scope alignment to the inside of the bolt. I make necessary adj., foul the barrel and re zero. Im not bothered by a little surface rust or paint chipping, If i dont change anything, every miss is my fault and serves as a lesson.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:49 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lloydsmale View Post
kroil is pretty agressive penetrating oil. I sure its fine for bores and for blued guns but i wouldnt leave it on anything that was plated. I know that it will get under nickle plated guns and eventualy cause damage to the finish. Could be its fine on these new high tech finishes as they may bond better, but i myself wouldnt take that chance.
Thats what I was afraid of.

Sounds like my best bet would be to mix up a bottle of simple green or similar. Give it a good soaking and scrub. Then dry off and give her a good coating of oil and wipe down. reassemble and clean the bore as usual. Put back in safe till the next time I get her out and realize I should be ashamed because it was so dirty, LOL!

Thanks all!!