Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Cleaning problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2011, 11:27 AM
Gold Member

Re: Cleaning problems

+1 what rscott said. I would check that first. I have been using sweets awhile now and it seems to get rid of copper pretty fast. See if you can determine if its coming from your jag as I have seem tjis before. On a side note, I have reading up on sweets here on this site and I am starting to rethink using it on a regular basis.
Old 06-20-2011, 11:44 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscott5028 View Post
This doesn't sound like your problem. But, be sure you're not using a bronze/brass jag that might be turning the patch blue.

+2

Sweets is very aggressive and will eat up a bronze/brass brush causing it to show green on the patches.

After using the brush with sweets I allways wash the brush with WD 40 to remove the sweets
for storage to save the brush.

I use sweets only when I have a badly fouled barrel and once it starts coming clean I switch to
a milder solvent like Butches or Bore tec and after a good brushing I switch to a cotton swab
to apply the bore solvent and then if it doesent come clean(Some copper is still present) I use the brush again.

I use the cotton swabs and nickel plated jags on most barrels with good results.

J E CUSTOM
Old 06-20-2011, 02:12 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
+2

Sweets is very aggressive and will eat up a bronze/brass brush causing it to show green on the patches.

After using the brush with sweets I allways wash the brush with WD 40 to remove the sweets
for storage to save the brush.
For the last few years I have used a gallon jug of non-freeze windshield cleaner to clean/neutralize. Take the cap off of jug, slosh my brush and/or jag around for a few strokes while still on the cleaning rod and set on the bench to dry. I have never seen any residue on any of my brushes or jags. In fact I like to almost unsrew the brush /jag so that it is barely on the cleaning rod - this really cleans up the threads between the brush/jag and cleaning rod.

Long time shooter/gunsmith got me started on this and it's his standard MOP on cleaning in his gunshop irregardless of what cleaning chemical he is using.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:40 PM
Gold Member

I am betting you are getting the blue from the bronze brush you are using. Are you getting blue even if you are pushing a soaked patch through with a plastic jag? That is my first inclination anyway.