Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Cleaning; brushing; patching...etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2013, 06:18 PM
Platinum Member

Cleaning; brushing; patching...etc.

Anyone other than me have a hard time getting a cleaning rod with tip and patch thru the barrel? Almost got my rod stuck in my new 222 this afternoon.

I have at least 6 different STYLES of tips...from jags to slitted to ?? and at least 5 different patch thicknesses.

Only thing I never have trouble with is a "wool" ( cotton I really think) tip on the end of my ram rod.

Im about at my teenie wits end.

Old 09-22-2013, 06:55 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Cleaning; brushing; patching...etc.

I quit using jags and things a long time ago. I actually buy a nylon brush that is 1 caliber smaller than what the gun actually is. I wrap a patch around the brush and soak it with solvent and choke up on the cleaning rod and push it through. Doing it this way utilizes the whole patch. If I need to scrub the barrel with a brush, I just switch out to the appropriate caliber and do the scrubbing and then switch back.

I don't know if this actually helped you or not but you could give it a try. It works well for me.
Old 09-22-2013, 06:56 PM
Platinum Member

I'm with ya. I buy 3"x3" shotgun patches and cut them down to what works for specific calibers/jags. What I have found is good patches are key. I had some gunslick ones that were awesome. I then bought some "others" that kind of felt the same and they are complete horsecrap.

I especially like when I push the 17hmr jag right through the patch. I hardly say any 4 letter words...
Old 09-22-2013, 07:05 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korhil78 View Post
I quit using jags and things a long time ago. I actually buy a nylon brush that is 1 caliber smaller than what the gun actually is. I wrap a patch around the brush and soak it with solvent and choke up on the cleaning rod and push it through. Doing it this way utilizes the whole patch. If I need to scrub the barrel with a brush, I just switch out to the appropriate caliber and do the scrubbing and then switch back.

I don't know if this actually helped you or not but you could give it a try. It works well for me.

It definitely does help. The brush will allow some "give" and let things slide thru the bore. Im trying it tomorrow...mucho thanks
Old 09-22-2013, 07:26 PM
Platinum Member

It takes a little bit of time and doing it to get used to it. I just use regular size patches and a caliber smaller brush. If you get it stuck in there, just get a wooden dowel rod and put it in the end of the barrel and hit the brush out with a hammer. It will come out pretty easy. This cleaning method works really well
Old 09-22-2013, 08:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korhil78 View Post
It takes a little bit of time and doing it to get used to it. I just use regular size patches and a caliber smaller brush. If you get it stuck in there, just get a wooden dowel rod and put it in the end of the barrel and hit the brush out with a hammer. It will come out pretty easy. This cleaning method works really well

Guess I'll have to pick up some .20 caliber tips and brushes. Thanks
Old 09-22-2013, 10:21 PM
Silver Member

The answer is easy. Triangle patch company,the only patch I use anymore.

Triangle Patch TM