Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Cleaning

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2002, 02:06 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Cleaning

STOP talking about cleaning guns! You shamed me into cleaning my 308 and I'm really thinking long and hard about cleaning my varmint rifle (a dreaded 223 Rem)! I was perfectly happy with my cleaning (or lack of) until this thread started.

BountyHunter:

Getting bad here huh! I was on 270 Southbound at Rockville when I heard about the latest shooting. Sure made me take notice of all the white vans we have that have ladder racks and hooks, sure are a lot of contractors around here. I half expected the next shooting to be North of DC, thought the guy was boxing the compass, very suprised it's back down in VA.
Old 10-11-2002, 03:10 PM
Silver Member

Dave and BH,
Keep your head low up there.

Dave,
This idiot/sicko shouldn't have anything less than one of your dirty 308 or 223 rounds right between his eyes when he's caught. All this while in handcuffs staring straight down your dirty bore for maximum affect of making him feel what his victims did!! A little humor there in the middle of a very serious situation.

Back to the subject at hand:
The IBS 1000yd shooter-of-the-year last year Phillip Yott DOESN'T clean either of his rifle during a match. Granted in BR we don't shoot that much but, he is the only one that does this and out of the 20 matches last year he won at LEAST 1 relay in 19 of the 20 matches we held between VA and NC clubs. More than once he won both LG and HG shootoffs in the same match.

go figure?? And he doesn't shoot moly either.

Steve
Old 10-11-2002, 08:48 PM
Silver Member

Dave,

You too?

I thought I was the only one around here with "bad habits" They've almost got me to clean a rifle or two also. Between this thread and calling season getting ready to start up in full swing, I have to admit I've been tempted.

But I hate doing it, not because it is work or a bother, but it changes the point of impact for the first few shots in most any rifle I've ever owned.

The calling rifle in particular that I've used for the past several years will hit 4-5" off on the first shot through a clean barrel. It takes 4-5 shots to settle back in. Usually after I clean it, I'll shoot 4-5 fouling shots before putting it away. That way the next time I go hunting ( usually at first light the next morning ) I know it will hit exactly where I aim it.

I normally clean rifles 2-3 times a year. You mean I'm not alone? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-11-2002, 09:04 PM
Platinum Member

Tim

I need a few foulers to get things settled too, it's a little bit of rifle and a lot of Dave King to get the confidence back after cleaning.

I sometimes get a few hundred rounds between cleaning if the conditions are clean. Last trip to Canada and the bear hunt I needed to clean as soon as I got back, that rifle went through hell, mud, immersion, fine dust, sticks and everyone wanting to touch the "That's a rifle?" rifle.
Old 10-11-2002, 11:55 PM
Platinum Member

Steve,

Yep, tried them, but like the Kleen Bore. They are stiffer and seem to work better with my technique. The softer ones just seemed to wear me out brushing. These are more aggressive but non-damaging. At least nothing we could detect with bore scope.

the Kleen Bores also use aluminum and I get no copper wash from the brush. I like that part.

Most will work if the person using them uses care and a little diligence in what and how they do it.

Everyone has their "favorite" techniques also, these just happen to be mine.

The sniper idiot just killed another person about 3 miles from my house about 3 hours ago.
Old 10-15-2002, 07:34 PM

Where can I find the Kleen Bore nylon bore brush? I can't seem to find them. I never thought of trying these before, Thanks!
Old 10-15-2002, 07:35 PM

[ 10-15-2002: Message edited by: Siso ]