Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Clean bore vs. fouled bore for 1st shot accuracy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2012, 09:04 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Clean bore vs. fouled bore for 1st shot accuracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecr View Post
You can't just 'try' coated bullets with any meaning.
It takes a plan and management to succeed with.
That depends on the objectives, standards and conditions of the trial.

Old 07-06-2012, 08:32 AM
Platinum Member

If you have the right Smith and using the right componets for the build there is no real change in POI between fouled or clean. I have tested this with 18 of my built rifles by one Smith. I have others that are wood built sporters by another Smith that change very little (less than .5 at 100yds) from a pristine clean condition.

All using SMK's that are non coated.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:05 PM
Silver Member

Did the WS2 post clean barrel treatment for awhile but it is dirty. Now use hBN with the same process and I am 100% happy with first shot cold bore. Virtually no impact change.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:12 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTXDrifter View Post
MikeCR.

I appreciate your timely response and now I have a few questions:

What is Tungsten disulphide (WS2)?
Where do I get it?
and how is it applied?
Are your bullets coated with the black moly?

I'm interested in long range hunting with commercial rifles. Maybe someday I might try my hand at Class F competition.

Lower Friction

Hex Boron Nitride (hBN) Bullet Coating

It is important to start with clean bullets and I recommend warming them up before tumbling. WS2 and hBN process is the same.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:25 PM
Platinum Member

Great question! What I can say is this----it depends on her. All my rifles are different. I don't think that you can predict one way or another--you'll just have to shoot and figure it out. I've got a 300 win mag that LOVES a dirty barrel. So, I don't let it get real dirty but I always put it away dirty and she is spot on.

Randy

"I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than be in any city on earth." ---Steve McQueen
Old 07-07-2012, 05:56 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnwrunner View Post
I don't think that you can predict one way or another--you'll just have to shoot and figure it out.
I think you can predict they'll shoot to point of aim when clean if you get one of the top quality aftermarket barrels. I predicted my 30 caliber Hart, Obermeyer and Kreiger barrels to do that; they all did. But with standard production factory barrels, I think most of them need a few shots to settle down.

My Anschutz .22 rimfire match barrels were predicted to shoot a few MOA high with a clean barrel; they did. Same with others using Hart, Lilja and Walther rimfire match barrels; they all shot high from a clean barrel. Takes 3 or 4 shots to get them fouled enough to slow the bullets down so they shot to point of aim.