Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Are clamp-on muzzle breaks worth having?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2011, 11:44 AM
Gold Member

Are clamp-on muzzle breaks worth having?

I see some manufacturers offer clamp- on muzzle breaks. Seems like it would be easy to blow them off or scratch a barrel. Am I right or wrong? Seems those are more expensive than thread-ons but the nice part would be I could take it off for hunting since I don't hunt with hearing protection regularly. Anyone have any experiences and/or advice?
Old 08-30-2011, 12:08 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Are clamp-on muzzle breaks worth having?

Edited

Last edited by Boss Hoss; 11-09-2011 at 06:42 AM.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Hoss View Post
I think they would make excellent trotline weights. Talk about something to ruin accuracy. Harmonics will be completely different .
Boss Hoss - It's the poor man's BOSS
Old 08-30-2011, 05:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRNA View Post
I see some manufacturers offer clamp- on muzzle breaks. Seems like it would be easy to blow them off or scratch a barrel. Am I right or wrong? Seems those are more expensive than thread-ons but the nice part would be I could take it off for hunting since I don't hunt with hearing protection regularly. Anyone have any experiences and/or advice?
They are not very precise and therefore not as effective because they must have a larger bore
to allow for any misalignment.

Also each time it is removed it may change the harmonics unless it is timed exactly in the same spot.
(Nearly impossible)

There are very good breaks that also have a thread protector for the times that you want
to shoot without the break. Threaded breaks can be removed with a wrench or a simple pin
slightly smaller than the ports without damage.

J E CUSTOM
Old 08-30-2011, 06:36 PM
Gold Member

I see exactly what you guys are saying. Makes perfect sense, I just didn't think about the barrel harmonics. May be a stupid question, but for the sake of argument, what would prevent a thread-on brake from changing barrel harmonics as well? Do you guys have any preferences as to a good thread-on brake? My 7mmRM doesn't necessarily have to have a break. The recoil is acceptable, but I am toying with the idea of putting one on to further reduce muzzle jump. Thanks for the input guys. Keep it coming.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:22 PM
Platinum Member

The threaded brakes change harmonics as well to answer your question. As pointed out above they are preferred for several reasons one of which is looks.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:33 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Hoss View Post
The threaded brakes change harmonics as well to answer your question. As pointed out above they are preferred for several reasons one of which is looks.
So, as is right now, I'm pretty happy with my gun as far as the way it shoots. Could putting a brake on it change the accuracy of my rifle to the point that I couldn't get it to shoot like it is now? Or would I simply have to re-zero the rifle with the brake in place to account for it and then shoot as consistently as it does now?
If I have the potential for ruining a good shooting rifle, then I will just stick with what I have and be done with it
Thanks for the replies BOSS HOSS and others.