Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Chronograph woes!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2012, 10:10 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Chronograph woes!

you know you guys talk this stuff about reliability and warranty issues like it was an everyday thing. I've had exactly one issue with my chronograph since it was new, and that was my fault. I messed up one of the cables, and ended up buying two new defusers at $27. (one of these days I take a few minutes and fix the one I pulled the cable out of). I called them up, and told them my problem. Had a box in my hands in less than a week. The third channel hasn't proven it's worth by anybody I shoot with that owns one. Perhaps somebody else, but not around here anyway. The Ohler is a good reading piece of equipment, but not without needing improvments (it's old technology). I use my chronograph most of the time in the high noon sunlight (my range close around six in the evening). I did block some of the sunlight with two strips of tin foil, and I think it helps a little bit. The same trick helped the Ohler by the way
gary
Old 08-17-2012, 10:16 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrod View Post
They quoted me 197.95 with IR screens, I ordered it 3 weeks ago and as of yesterday they still hadn't shipped it so I cancelled it. My point being in the original post, they can't fix my old one they should send a new, equivalent, replacement, that is what a lifetime warranty is for.

As far as I'm concerned Pact Inc. no longer exists as an option since the warranty is worthless. What they should advertise is a 30% off coupon when your unit quits. It will be shipped whenever they get around to it. By the way, the local BBB gives them an "F" rating.

Bob
Bob,, i agree with you 1000%, if it states lifetime warranty then they shoould either "Fix It" or "Replace It"! i would lose my cool in this situation and be all over them.
i think these are the type of people i will avoid when i go shopping for an unit.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:14 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 338 View Post
Lifetime Warranties... I've got a problem with them. They're usually not reasonable. All warranties are only as good as the company behind them. Nothing lasts forever (except God's promises) and most things don't last a lifetime including the company that sells them. Most companies are banking that they'll be so huge that they can cover the incidental claim or the product is collecting dust in a closet and will never see the light of day again. Companies offering these great warranties can go out of business in a couple of years. As you've experienced, designs change and old models become obsolete. It's isn't reasonable to replace a complete unit because of a faulty .10 cent part. Companies shouldn't offer them and Customers shouldn't be swayed into a purchasing decision by them. One of these days, even Craftsman Tools will go out of business and that Lifetime Warranty will be useless. If you like Pact's, I'd take the discount if they'll ever send it. If they don't have one in stock, maybe they'd be willing to get one from a retailer and replace it later.

I've shot out sensors and busted sky screens on my Pact and they got them out to me in reasonable time.
I do understand your feelings and I have the same reservations when I buy something new and
have not used there product or service.

One of the reasons I recomended the Oehler was there service and warranty. When they stopped
making chronographs for the public (The military had priority and they had to concentrate on there
needs) they continued to service the 33s and 35s and warranted everything. They have never
charged me for any service or parts even though the problem was my fault.

I have had other manufactures discontinue a product and the warrant went with it even though
they were still in business.

We make no bones about criticising poor service or warranties, so when a good one comes along
I like to give them credit.

J E CUSTOM
Old 08-22-2012, 09:42 AM
Platinum Member

Buy the Oehler 35P and cry ONCE. I'm too cheap to buy the kind of quality items that don't last.

As far as the "Lifetime Warranty" is concerned; if a company gives such a warranty they do so KNOWING that 99% of the time it will not be used and 1% of the time they will have to bite-the-bullet and take a small loss to make good on their promise. If they don't make good on their warranty then I'd make a formal complaint to the local Consumer Affairs office and to the Better Business Bureau. Not that anything is likely to change but it is all you can really do in the way of fighting back.

Other than beating them up on the internet, of course.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:31 PM
Platinum Member

Re: The Potential Accuracty of Chronograph Velocity Data

This link will take you to a thread with information that will give insight into what chronographs are capable of.

An Oehler 35P, an old (out of production for many years) model Oehler 33, and a PACT PC2 are all in use at the same time. If you want confidence that the reported velocity is without malfunction error, then you need an Oehler 35P or two other chronographs in order to receive two reported velocities for each bullet fired - my own opinion.

This is a long read. If you're interested enough that you read all of it, you ought to think about an Oehler 35P. If you lose interest part way into it, purchase something less expensive - understanding that you will occasionally retrieve erroneous velocity data and will have no way of identifying those erroneous data.

New Oehler 35P, New skyscreen rail, First Test Data
Old 08-22-2012, 01:55 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
This link will take you to a thread with information that will give insight into what chronographs are capable of.

An Oehler 35P, an old (out of production for many years) model Oehler 33, and a PACT PC2 are all in use at the same time. If you want confidence that the reported velocity is without malfunction error, then you need an Oehler 35P or two other chronographs in order to receive two reported velocities for each bullet fired - my own opinion.

This is a long read. If you're interested enough that you read all of it, you ought to think about an Oehler 35P. If you lose interest part way into it, purchase something less expensive - understanding that you will occasionally retrieve erroneous velocity data and will have no way of identifying those erroneous data.

New Oehler 35P, New skyscreen rail, First Test Data
Thanks for the link,
I have actually read the entire thing, twice. I re-read it to make sure I hadn't missed anything the first time through

Bob
Old 08-23-2012, 07:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrod View Post
Thanks for the link,
I have actually read the entire thing, twice. I re-read it to make sure I hadn't missed anything the first time through

Bob
Then I think you're particular enough about this hobby that you may prefer the Oehler 35P with its proof channel. Pretty hard to find a used Oehler 35P. At least that was my experience a couple years ago. I purchased my35P straight from Oehler as soon as they began manufacturing the units again about 2 years ago.

Every now and then a used Oehler 33 will show up on eBay or elsewhere. I have two of them. One is starting to act up, but the other is working great and part of my 3-chronograph setup. But you'd need to run two Oehler 33s in tandem to get the equivalent of the proof channel that comes standard with the Oehler model 35P.