Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Chronograph woes!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2012, 09:27 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Chronograph woes!

I use a Ced M2 for 3 years now. How accurate is it who knows but with a new load I can average a 5 shot groups velocity enter that info into Exbal and be really close at my 335, 450 and 800 yard targets with a 100 yard zero. Works for me!

From everything I have read here and elsewhere the Oehler is top dog but I will never spend the money to personally find out. Shooting and hunting is a hobby not a occupation.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 08-16-2012, 10:51 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrod View Post
They quoted me 197.95 with IR screens, I ordered it 3 weeks ago and as of yesterday they still hadn't shipped it so I cancelled it. My point being in the original post, they can't fix my old one they should send a new, equivalent, replacement, that is what a lifetime warranty is for.

As far as I'm concerned Pact Inc. no longer exists as an option since the warranty is worthless. What they should advertise is a 30% off coupon when your unit quits. It will be shipped whenever they get around to it. By the way, the local BBB gives them an "F" rating.

Bob
I spoke with Pact yesterday afternoon after I made my last post. The price quote was off $10 as it's now $163 plus shipping and with the 30% off cupon. He did tell me that they were running low on some spare parts for the PC2. Shipping was a bit much at $14.95. I pay little attention to BBB or Angies list these days as that's normally a crap shoot on a good day. Pact has no business counter to step up to, and all orders are taken by phone and shipped via mail. And lastly the chronograph I asked about and the upgrade for my powder measurer was quoted at 14 business days max with the delay being with the upgraded parts on the measurer. Mine goes in the mail on the 22nd of the month
gary
Old 08-16-2012, 11:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
The Oehler 35 p Is the best In my opinion. and there warranty is second to none.

But they are about double the price of the others.

They have an accuracy standard that tops everyone and they are the chronograph that
everyone tries to compare with.

This is truly a case of you get what you pay for. Awhile back a friend shot an arrow through one of my screens and when i called Oehler they said they would send me the newest screens (3 of them)
for "NO CHARGE" and three days later i recieved them.

I use mine for a lot more than just velocity so accuracy counts a great deal.

I'm sure the other brands are close enough and at the price difference are worth it. I just like the Oehler.

J E CUSTOM
I shot my PC2 and the Ohler 33 at the sametime many, many times over. The difference is roughly .0025%, and you don't know which one is right. If one tosses out a shot the other will as well. The accuracey thing is an old wive's tale. The Ohler has the worst mounting system sold, but you can spend another two or three hundred dollars and buy the Square Peg mount (or build your own similar mounting system).

I look at it this way, if you got deep pockets and just have to spend that dime then buy the Ohler. But if you want one that functions just as well, then lookaround. That's what I did.
gary
Old 08-16-2012, 11:06 AM
Platinum Member

Call em back and inform them that if THEY do not straiten it out in a hurry with credit to the hassle applied that you will be informing everybody on your friends list on FB. I've done this on several occasions, they don't want that kind of publicity.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 08-16-2012, 11:08 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcebcj View Post
I use a Ced M2 for 3 years now. How accurate is it who knows but with a new load I can average a 5 shot groups velocity enter that info into Exbal and be really close at my 335, 450 and 800 yard targets with a 100 yard zero. Works for me!

From everything I have read here and elsewhere the Oehler is top dog but I will never spend the money to personally find out. Shooting and hunting is a hobby not a occupation.
that's exactly what I'm trying to say. Just because one reads different than the other dosn't mean that it's reading is off. If you have an extra $500 then buy the Ohler, but if your frugal then buy what suits your needs. I can set mine up in ten minutes max and be shooting while it takes the guy with the Ohler four times that to get going (at ranges they don't like this very well unless your the only guy shooting).
gary
Old 08-16-2012, 12:04 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
I spoke with Pact yesterday afternoon after I made my last post. The price quote was off $10 as it's now $163 plus shipping and with the 30% off cupon. He did tell me that they were running low on some spare parts for the PC2. Shipping was a bit much at $14.95. I pay little attention to BBB or Angies list these days as that's normally a crap shoot on a good day. Pact has no business counter to step up to, and all orders are taken by phone and shipped via mail. And lastly the chronograph I asked about and the upgrade for my powder measurer was quoted at 14 business days max with the delay being with the upgraded parts on the measurer. Mine goes in the mail on the 22nd of the month
gary
Good luck! They told me 5-6 business days, three weeks in a row. That is exactly why I cancelled my order, I had zero issues with the chronograph until it broke. The problem I have is with the pi$$ poor customer service. I refuse to deal with a company that treats me this way. The phone guy is a blatant liar, and the lifetime warranty is a 30% off coupon. All that is left now is to see how long it takes them to repair and return my ProChrono.

I sincerely hope your experience is better than mine.

Bob
Old 08-16-2012, 12:16 PM
Platinum Member

I love my 35p, and don't care for my ced-- go figure. I'd buy the oehler over theced at 2x price.
Does anyone know if I can still get a sky-screen for a ten year old oehler 35??? My Dad knicked one the other day.