Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Chrono accuracy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2011, 08:37 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Chrono accuracy

bkondeff, One thing I did learn about the Shooting Chrony's is they are sensitive to muzzle brakes. As are most Chronographs. Get thatthing out there at least 18 feet.

Jeff
Old 08-11-2011, 01:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
The main thing i like about the Oehler 36 P is the proof screen and the printer.

The proof screen gives you two velocities and if they are different by a small amount it gives
you an error message so you know something went wrong with the chronograph and not with
the load and you can delete it from the other shots, And you don't have to guess if it is working.

I also like the printer because it gives you much more than the velocity and while at the range
testing loads I simply write the load number on the printout and I can look all of the test over
for a better comparison.

It is also a permanent record in my loading book.

The Oehler 35 P is expensive but I think It is worth it considering how much data it gives you
that is invaluable and the money it can save you if used right.

J E CUSTOM
the guy that I shot with, that owned a 35 said more than once that he felt the proof channel was a sales gimmick. I had no opinion concerning that, but he did. Nobody ever said the Ohler wasn't a great chrnograph, cause it is. Just $200 over priced before you buy the Square Peg mount at $300+. In the end some folks will buy a Lexus, and some folks will buy a Chevy, and both will get to the same place just the same.
gary
Old 08-11-2011, 01:47 PM
Platinum Member

Edited

Last edited by Boss Hoss; 11-09-2011 at 06:49 AM.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Hoss View Post
Tricky---just depends on how much you value accurate data. I have used Ken's stuff for many years and it is not a gimmick. Most tightwads do not always see the value in things over their comfort zone.
Personally I prefer a balanced approach use the best that you possibly can then figure a way to get the best that there is.
Nobody has ever said that an Ohler 35 is junk, cause that would not be true. But the guys with deep pockets love to run down the other guy's stuff down with little if anything to build a case on. Doug did improve upon the Ohler setup with a custom mount that I built for him. It tightened up the extreme spead a little bit using loads he knew were dead on. I've shot thru Doug's in just about every form of shooting condition except snow & ice. I've also shot thru mine thru about every condition without a hitch. Is his more accurate? Can't prove it by me, or anyone else that's shot thru it. Is mine better or just as good? Once again I see no real difference between the two. Is there room for improvement in the two of them? Yep! Pact and RCBS developed a software package for the PC2 when it first came out, and they never marketed it as they couldn't find a calling for it amonst the shooters. Now I think it would sell like hot cakes. Basicly it connects the Chronograph strait into a notebook PC, or allows you to down load all data into your home desk top. Of course they could do the samething with an SD card. The one thing everybody seems toforget about is there is no real way to calibrate a chronograph There is no proof load you can buy that will be exactly the same every shot. Be nice if there was, but it ain't happening anytime too soon. So you take your data as it's presented, and live with it. You can't prove it's right, but you also can't dissprove it either. I see absolutely no reason to get up in the air over six feet per second at 3500fps!
gary
Old 08-11-2011, 02:23 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the feedback. I have learned or confirmed a few things.

At this point I feel I have mitigated concerns regarding the difference being related to light issues, not enough distance from muzzle, etc. as with having both set up back to back and then switching them with no reversing of the difference between the two it tells me the difference is in the units themselves. The problem is, which unit is right, or at least "most" right. 100fps is significant. I think the one round I have that is the most consistently "known" velocity is my 17HMR in my savage. I have chrono'd the loads before and they were damn consistent to the 2550fps listed on the box. I will do the same this weekend and shoot the 17 and see which Chrono is the closest. I will also diligently measure the dist between the screens. I am averaging about a 3.4% difference in measured velocity so I assume the math should be simple if one set is 3.4% closer than the other(~.4") I may know my answer.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:05 PM
Platinum Member

With the desire to have very accurate velocity info I broke down and bought a 35p. After two of the lower priced chronographs consuming a lot of time and living with uncertainty and inconsistency , I should have bought one in the first place. It was a false economy.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:43 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkondeff View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I have learned or confirmed a few things.

At this point I feel I have mitigated concerns regarding the difference being related to light issues, not enough distance from muzzle, etc. as with having both set up back to back and then switching them with no reversing of the difference between the two it tells me the difference is in the units themselves. The problem is, which unit is right, or at least "most" right. 100fps is significant. I think the one round I have that is the most consistently "known" velocity is my 17HMR in my savage. I have chrono'd the loads before and they were damn consistent to the 2550fps listed on the box. I will do the same this weekend and shoot the 17 and see which Chrono is the closest. I will also diligently measure the dist between the screens. I am averaging about a 3.4% difference in measured velocity so I assume the math should be simple if one set is 3.4% closer than the other(~.4") I may know my answer.
Not picking a side or anything with the 17HMR, but I would tell you this. The only way to accurately base a testing number is to use three identical pieces of equipment (or more) to build a base number off of (that's the way labs test stuff). Assuming the 2550fps is an accurate figure, I would use it as a base figure. Then I would simply try several under the exact same conditions (sameday and about the same time of day). Try to shoot everything out of the barrel with a temp fairly close. In otherwords a cold barrel or a warm barrel. I would expect to see as much as a 12fps difference between each unit you test out, cause they are different. And who knows which is actually dead on the money. If I were testing chronographs, I would use something like a 6PPC or a .222 Remington. Use one single case and a lot of bullets that were all weighed prior to loading. Try to make each load as exactly the same as possible. The otherway to do this is to actually measure the case volume in grains of water they hold, but then you have to deal with slight external differences in the neck and shoulders.
good luck
gary