Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

chronny recommendation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2012, 07:21 PM
Silver Member

chronny recommendation

Hello guys, i'm in the market for a chronnograp, i would like something good not the ones where a i have to shoot beetwen two small spots on the chronny, my first chronny was the f1 master chronny, i need it for airguns in calibers from .177 to .44, speeds from 350 fps to 1400 fps.

rimfire calibers like 22lr, 22win mag and .17 hmr
and centerfire calibers from 22-250, 6mm rem, 270 win, 30-06 and 338/378 weatherby.

any recommendation is appreciated.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:26 AM
Gold Member

Re: chronny recommendation

"something good not the ones where a i have to shoot beetwen two small spots on the chronny"

I think you need to shoot between two spots on all chronographs, at least you do for the ones that I have owned or used. I have owned and used Chrony, then upgraded to CED Mellinium II, and I also have an Ohler 35P.

The CED is a heck of a chonograph, and worth the price.

If you can tolerate the price, the Ohler is a great chronograph. My 35P functions perfectly under windy conditions that spawn error messages like crazy for both my Chrony and my CED.

Jeffvn

Last edited by JeffVN; 05-22-2012 at 06:28 AM. Reason: typos
Old 05-22-2012, 07:34 AM
PUBLISHER

I sold my Oehler and got a CED M2 a few years ago. Simpler to set up and use. Just as accurate as far as I can tell. Much cheaper.

I like it well enough that I now sell it in the LRH Store.

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 05-22-2012, 08:19 AM
Silver Member

+1
Oehler or CED
Old 05-22-2012, 11:31 AM
Platinum Member

have owned a Pact for over 15 years, and can count the shots it's tossed out on one hand. Made in Texas, and come with a very long warranty.
gary
Old 05-22-2012, 01:06 PM
Platinum Member

I will recommend the Oehler 35. It is like having two chronographs in one as it has a 3rd screen and gives you two readings on the same projectile and this will help weed out errors. They are higher in price but they are as good as it gets. So you can buy one right off the bat or dance around the price like I did. I bought to Shooting Chrony's and a Pact before I bought my Oehler. It was not until now that I feel I have one I can trust to be close.

That said I have never used a CED so I can not say one way or the other on them.

Jeff
Old 05-22-2012, 04:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
I will recommend the Oehler 35. It is like having two chronographs in one as it has a 3rd screen and gives you two readings on the same projectile and this will help weed out errors. They are higher in price but they are as good as it gets. So you can buy one right off the bat or dance around the price like I did. I bought to Shooting Chrony's and a Pact before I bought my Oehler. It was not until now that I feel I have one I can trust to be close.

That said I have never used a CED so I can not say one way or the other on them.

Jeff
how do you weed out errors when you don't get errors? <g>!! Seriously I'd shot with the Pact for eons, and also shot the same loads thru a #35P that belonged to a buddy of mine. We saw errors in it, so don't think they're near perfect. But the errors we saw with the Ohler were not in the screens themselves but the rest of the unit. So what was the difference? .0025%, and that's not a quarter of one percent, but 25 thousandths of a percent. That's nine cases of beer for the same accuracey.
gary