Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Christensen Arms barrels?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2005, 09:46 AM
Silver Member

Christensen Arms barrels?

Anyone had any experience with Christensen Arms barrels? Would like good or bad feedback.
thank!!
Old 12-25-2005, 06:08 PM
Silver Member

Re: Christensen Arms barrels?

Unless Christensen Arms has changed there carbon wrap and there process I would steer way clear. There barrels actually insulate and trap heat in, (that's what carbon fiber does) dispite what there ads claim.

I've seen the carbon wrap on a couple of their barrels bubble up because they got so hot. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

If you want a carbon barrel that does what they claim it will do I'd check out Advanced Barrel Systems, Inc.

They have a new process, though I have not seen any of there barrels. George at GAP thinks highly of them and has been installing them for there customer.

ABS Link

Best of luck!

Mathew 5:16

Distance is not an issue, but the wind will make it interesting!
Old 12-25-2005, 09:13 PM
Gold Member

Idaho Elk Hunter, Christensen uses a Shilen barrel ground down to then wrap. I'm not real hot on Shilen barrels, they tend to shoot out faster than most. The Advanced Barrel is supposed to be better, but have never seen one. I'm not sure that the extra expense of the carbon wrapped barrel is worth it. Check with Kirby for actual experience I would bet. Good luck.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:02 AM
Silver Member

Thanks for the info! I have had 5 replies on a coupe of different forums and basically I have been told the same. Stay clear they are junk. None shooting worth a hot. Also been told that customer service sucks. So that is enough for me to go ahead with my original plans and get the Krieger.
A friend has one and he is always telling me how good it is. But I was with him during load development and he couldnt get better than 1.25 moa.
Old 12-27-2005, 03:39 PM
Gold Member

check with Goodgrouper, he's having a rifle put together with an ABS barrel and he's well informed. I called ABS and they are very very helpful.
Old 12-27-2005, 04:36 PM
Gold Member

Idaho Elk Huntr, Krieger barrels are usually great. Match the diameter and twist to your needs and it is hard to go wrong. Kirby uses the Lilja barrel out of MT and he has had great results. Lilja can do some things that Krieger can't, such as fluting a midweight barrel. Krieger won't flute below a #7 contour because of their machines. Both barrels are match quality, lapped, etc. Main difference is cut rifling vs. buttoned rifling. Personal choice by most people's experience. If your friend couldn't get better groups than that, I would look elsewhere than the barrel. Most Krieger barrels will go .5 inch or better. Good luck. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-27-2005, 07:40 PM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
Idaho Elk Huntr, Krieger barrels are usually great. Match the diameter and twist to your needs and it is hard to go wrong. Kirby uses the Lilja barrel out of MT and he has had great results. Lilja can do some things that Krieger can't, such as fluting a midweight barrel. Krieger won't flute below a #7 contour because of their machines. Both barrels are match quality, lapped, etc. Main difference is cut rifling vs. buttoned rifling. Personal choice by most people's experience. If your friend couldn't get better groups than that, I would look elsewhere than the barrel. Most Krieger barrels will go .5 inch or better. Good luck. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

My friend does not have the Krieger. He has the CA carbon barrel. Seems like the hotter it gets the worse the group are. I have a new 7mm Ultra mag that I want to rebarrel to either a 300 or a 338 Ultra mag. So many barrel out there that its hard to decide. I have never had a cust barrel so I dont know much about them. Any benefits over button rifled vs. cut rifling? Which would be the best for a 338 Ultra?
Thanks for the help!!