Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Christensen Arms ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2009, 12:10 AM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: Christensen Arms ??

I think what Grit is getting at is that with that caliber AND that insulated barrel, you shoot it all day long, your barrel is toast.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 07-16-2009, 03:11 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Eichele View Post
I think what Grit is getting at is that with that caliber AND that insulated barrel, you shoot it all day long, your barrel is toast.
That is what struck me funny, or something along those lines. It was very late. Most folks know me here and expect a little good natured ribbing.

If the lottery comment is offensive... Well, I still think it's accurate. You're beating some long odds. (Bearing in mind, I'm assuming .5 moa means .5moa significantly beyond rock chucking range.)
With your coin invested, you surely believe something different. Confidence certainly has value, however it's bought. Somebody around here asked for opinions. It's certainly possible your opinion is more accurate than mine. I'm in Utah, Christensen arms is in Utah, maybe you are too. I'm always interested in new folks to shoot with. I'm certainly willing to have my opinion changed.

What do you know? You've offered a couple opinions. "It shoots better'n I can hold". "Only reason to reload with Wetherby's is to save cost". "I'm just a hunter who knows his caliber and how to shoot it". "It's a good rifle to carry around" "...If you want to play sniper you probably want something else"

These beliefs seem to be serving you well. I wouldn't call 'em knowledge. I wouldn't even say 'em. But hey, it aint broke...

Traditional hunting? I was assuming we were talking about long range hunting. It's not really traditional for me. My dad didn't do it until I taught him.

As for dead animals complaining.... Best keep that kind of stuff under your hat.

Last edited by grit; 07-16-2009 at 03:27 AM.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:36 AM

Cant tell you anything about the cal., however I've owned two Christensen Arms rifles. One was a .300 RUM and the one I own now is a .300 WSM. Both shoot extremely well with factory ammo. I shoot 180 grain bullets . I ordered my .300 WSM w/ a Kreiger barrel rather than the standard barrel C.A. uses. I'm shooting a sub .4 in. five shot, 100 yd. group w/ factory Federal 180 gr. Barnes MRX bullets @ 3220 fps. My .300 RUM liked 180 grain Scirroccos and shot a sub .5 in.group @ 3280 fps. Never could get a good hand load developed. I did send a rifle back for some testing on a scope,(no fault of C.A.) and found their customer service to be ok. I wont own any other rifle for big game hunting. Took both rifles to Africa, and both performed well. I would recommend A Christensen Arms rifle w/o hesitation.
Old 09-14-2009, 05:04 PM
Silver Member

I have a barrel of theirs...not screwed on an action yet so I don't know if it shoots or not. But when I bought it (used from GB) I called Christensen first to asked about it and they were friendly, helpful and knowledgeable...I'll have more info if I ever get it together...
Old 09-14-2009, 05:23 PM
Silver Member

I've seen 2, shot one in 7mm WSM. Lighweight thumbhole stock with a muzzle brake.

Shot much softer than my F class 7mm WSM, and weighed less than 1/2 as much!

Shot well under 1 MOA at 200 yards with factory ammo, AND with less than 20 rounds down the tube!

It is a friends rifle, so I haven't played with it much, but wow!

Bill

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

http://waitesandbalances.blogspot.com/
Old 09-14-2009, 08:18 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott n View Post
Cant tell you anything about the cal., however I've owned two Christensen Arms rifles. One was a .300 RUM and the one I own now is a .300 WSM. Both shoot extremely well with factory ammo. I shoot 180 grain bullets . I ordered my .300 WSM w/ a Kreiger barrel rather than the standard barrel C.A. uses. I'm shooting a sub .4 in. five shot, 100 yd. group w/ factory Federal 180 gr. Barnes MRX bullets @ 3220 fps. My .300 RUM liked 180 grain Scirroccos and shot a sub .5 in.group @ 3280 fps. Never could get a good hand load developed. I did send a rifle back for some testing on a scope,(no fault of C.A.) and found their customer service to be ok. I wont own any other rifle for big game hunting. Took both rifles to Africa, and both performed well. I would recommend A Christensen Arms rifle w/o hesitation.
You're shooting a 300 WSM with 180 grain bullets at 3220 fps? Holy crap that's fast! How long is your barrel?
Old 09-15-2009, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott n View Post
Happy to hear that you've had good luck with the C.R. and factory ammo in terms of accuracy. When I stated a similar comment, I was told that I should go play the lottery. But to each their own and I'm glad it's working out for the best for you as well.