Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Christensen Arms ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2009, 03:08 PM
Bronze Member

Christensen Arms ??

My dad has the oportunity to buy a used Christensen Arms in 270 wthby mag. Just wondering if anybody has any experience with these rifles. I know nothing other than what you can learn from their website. They seem like very nice guns. If he can get it for around 1500 or less I am tempted to tell him to buy it. The good news is that he already shoots a Mark V 270 wthby. so plenty of factory ammo and brass is already on hand, would just need to buy a set of dies and find some damn magnum primers!!!

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:29 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Christensen Arms ??

I would recommend he shoot it first or get a 3 day time span to check it out. I have one and would not buy another for any amount. Some seem to really shoot well and some will not shoot at all. People either love them or hate them. They are light and easy to carry. But they seem to be finicky and cutomer service is non-existent. Once you buy it, it's yours and the problems that came with it are yours as well. I bought mine straight from them and it is the custom version. I will soon cut the barrel off of mine and rebarrel it. Cannot bring myself to sell it someone and screw them over that bad. Good Luck, maybe it is one of the good ones.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:58 PM
Silver Member

Oh no don't do it. Mine shoots lights out but only after I had it re chambered to the ori. chamber. They lost mine for three months messed it up badly and now have one inch less barrel? I have no idea why they shortened it but they did. Don't.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:15 PM
Silver Member

I watched a very experienced Benchrest shooter try and do load development for one and he said he has never worked so hard to get something to shoot. He got it down to .8 to 1 moa and gave up.

I think they are over priced for what you get.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:08 PM

I have a custom one in 30-378 It shoots .5 moa all day long with factory ammo. I'm pretty happy with it so far and have no real complaints. Maybe I just have that really shoots. Or maybe it shoots better then I can hold it. An elk is really not going to notice the difference I don't think.

I read a lot of negative comments about them right after I ordered it (and before I knew about this website). I was apprehensive to say the least. But, like I said, it shoots really well, and I didn't have much problems dealing with them. It arrived when they said it would and was built to my specifications.

Just keep an open mind. You will also read on here that not many people like weatherby's either. Funny, that is all I have ever shot, and guess what, all my factory weatherby's shoot the lights out to. It's all about personal opinion.

At any rate, I think the christensen is a good hunting rifle to pack around all day in the mountains. If you want ot shoot benchrest or pretend you are a sniper with it, then you probably need something else.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by idig4au View Post
I have a custom one in 30-378 It shoots .5 moa all day long with factory ammo. I'm pretty happy with it so far and have no real complaints. Maybe I just have that really shoots. Or maybe it shoots better then I can hold it. An elk is really not going to notice the difference I don't think.

I must share my amusement. A 30-378 might shoot .5moa all day, once. Consistent .5 moa, with factory ammo and a Christensen Arms rifle? You should play the lottery.

Last edited by grit; 07-15-2009 at 04:31 AM.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grit View Post
I must share my amusement. A 30-378 might shoot .5moa all day, once. Consistent .5 moa, with factory ammo and a Christensen Arms rifle? You should play the lottery.
I don't need to play the lottery.

I've always had good luck with weatherby ammo...my whole family has...for 30 some years. I wonder why that is. Only reason to re-load with weatherby's is to save costs. That is not really a concern for me right now, but my time is.

None of my elk, sheep and etc on the wall has ever complained. But what do I know...I am just a hunter that knows his caliber and how to shoot it. Isn't traditional hunting really about that?

To each their own.