Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

choosing a new rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2008, 10:17 PM

Re: choosing a new rifle

Thanks for the input. The problem with living here in canada is trying to find a gunsmith to do a barrel. I spent almost $3000 on my .243 and i've been really happy, but it took me almost a year and a half to get my rifle. I am very detailed with my hand loading and spend a lot of time finding the best load for each of my rifles. I've also shot enough and done enough homework to know there are no garuntees, but i would like to buy a factory rifle that will give me the best chance of shooting groups with some quality time spent at the bench.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:33 PM
Silver Member

My vote for a factory rifle would be for the Remington Sendero in 300 RUM. However, for the accuracy your talking about, your going to need a custom rig or have work done on the factory rifle if you want consistant .5 groups.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:59 PM
Silver Member

First, I am a 270 fan.

Regarding that 300 WM that does not shoot to your liking. A year or two ago, I was over on the Jarret web site and saw that one of his pet cartridges was a 7mm x 300 Win Mag, I think he used an AI version.

Being an engineer by trade, that spun up the little wheels in my head and I got to thinking... This is when "thinking" ends up costing me a lot of money.

I do not care for the excessive freebore of the WBY Mag's. Seeing this Jarret wildcat got me thinking about a 270x300 WM. The thought of a 130gr Nosler AB at 3500+ FPS has a tangible degree of intrigue to me - perhaps it does for you-all too.

Sssssoooo, why not have that 300 WM action squared up and re-barreled to a 270x300 WM in a Hart 28 barrel?

Just stirring the pot.

Snohomish Co. Washington
NRA Life Member
Old 10-30-2008, 11:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booney View Post
The problem with the wsm is the barrel hop is outrageous. I have a 300rum stock and I am shooting 2.5 in groups at 600 yard for the money and the performance you can not beat it.
If you think that stock is hopping with a WSM, put a RUM on it and it will leap.

The problem there is not the cartridge, it is the stock and probably sporter weight barrel compared to heavy weight sendaro. Apple and oranges.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:24 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BountyHunter View Post
With the factory guns and barrels it is all a roll of the dice if you want anything close to .5 MOA.

Some will make it, but dang few as a norm. Do not believe the "once in a lifetime 3 shot group one hole group" that always shows up on the internet. At BR central, they have had standing bets for a .25 factory gun to shoot in the short range BR matches and agg .25 for five shot groups and no one has won any money yet...
Interesting. I think I will pull the scope off my varmint rifle on to my 6mm Rem. The deer load I use in that rifle comes pretty close to meeting that requirement. How many 5 shot groups in a row do I have to produce? I will disclose what my un-altered factory rifle is at a later date and time...
Any funds I might win will be donated to the NRA juniors program at my club.;)

Snohomish Co. Washington
NRA Life Member
Old 11-01-2008, 04:23 AM
Silver Member

If I had the $$$$$$ for a good factory, I'd get the Sako TRG-42

SAKO TRG-42

And throw on it a NF 5.5-22x50 FFP, Mil-rad turrets, & MLR reticle.
http://www.nightforceoptics.com/SCOP...5_5-22x56.html
Amen!

Last edited by Inukshuk; 11-01-2008 at 04:28 AM.
Old 11-01-2008, 10:53 AM
Silver Member

Based upon the results I have been getting out of my Tikka t3 Lite in 270 Win, I think that Tikka T3 Varmint would be pretty nice too.

Snohomish Co. Washington
NRA Life Member