Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Choate tactical vs. Hogue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2014, 03:44 PM

Choate tactical vs. Hogue

Getting ready to order a new stock for my Savage 110 7mm rem mag. My budget wont allow for a McMillan or anything like that. I found a Choate tactical for $199, and a Hogue overmold for $213. Both are full bed block and channeled for heavy barrel. Here are the links:

Choate Tactical Savage Stock - Bedded, Free Floated, with Adjustable Spacer System

Hogue Savage 110, 112 & 116 Top Loading Box Mag Long Action Heavy Barrel Full Bed Block Stock Ghillie Tan 11917 FREE S&H 11917. Hogue Gun Grips & Stocks.

Which one would you choose? This is for a hunting rifle. Thanks
Old 05-04-2014, 09:56 PM
Silver Member

Re: Choate tactical vs. Hogue

I adore the Hogue on my Howa, the entire thing functions like a recoil pad haha.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:22 PM
Gold Member

Can't speak to the Hogue, but the Choate is HEAVY .... OMG heavy.
I have a 6BR tactical rifle mounted on one and, while it is very well made and a very stable platform, I wouldn't want to carry it very far (rifle total weight 18#)
I'd suggest you consider how much weight you want to carry around - and for how long you'll need to carry it.

American rifleman's triad - God, guts and guns. It built America and it'll preserve America. Abandon one and you lose them all.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:31 AM
Platinum Member

Full disclosure: l live close to Hogue, know people that work there, etc...

The Hogue is on the try it list, the Choate is not.

Why? The Choates I've touched don't suit me but we are all different.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:48 PM

I would want to go to a local shop and handle each if possible.I have a Hogue on a Weatherby Vanguard and I'm happy with it,but it is heavier than I prefer. Accurate Shooter has a review in the new Choate stock,and it has been used by a top tier Brittish shooter who does very well with it. For strictly field use,the Hogue has a more traditional appearance,and that may matter to you.The Choate,with it's adjustability may be better suited to target shooting.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:51 PM
Silver Member

I have hogue's on my 7-08, 270 wsm & 300 win mag. I love them for hunting purposes. Easy to grip, I even painted 2 of them with crylon. I have to touch them up each year but it was cheap. The full al. blocking seams to do just fine. I shoot .5 to .8 with them all. Here are pictures of the two I painted.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Choate tactical vs. Hogue-dscf0064.jpg   Choate tactical vs. Hogue-dscf0020.jpg  

Old 05-05-2014, 08:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearNoWind View Post
Can't speak to the Hogue, but the Choate is HEAVY .... OMG heavy.
I have a 6BR tactical rifle mounted on one and, while it is very well made and a very stable platform, I wouldn't want to carry it very far (rifle total weight 18#)
I'd suggest you consider how much weight you want to carry around - and for how long you'll need to carry it.
76 OZ or 4.75 LBS.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.