Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Chambering time !, help me decide 6x47Lapua or 243Ai

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-01-2008, 07:35 PM
Platinum Member
Chambering time !, help me decide 6x47Lapua or 243Ai

The time has come to make the decision between the two. The gun will be used for F-class and long range varmints , built on a fully blueprinted M-7 remington action with a heavy varmint 28" 1-7.5 twist Bartlein 5-R barrel. Gun will be setup to feed from the mag ADL style

I doubt that I'll ever sell the gun but in case I'd like to factor in "resale-ability" into the caliber choice.

I have a couple hundred Lapua 243 cases here but I use them for my 260 also , the 243 reamer is a slightly tight neck.270 I think so their willb a little bit of case neck turning but can also be reamed to standard neck

any of you guys ever use both of these rounds and care to offer your input? I have had a couple 243Ai's but they were hot rods varmint guns. I like the idea of the 6.5x47 Lapua case desgine but their almost twice the cost of the 243 Lapua cases.

I'll be having Don Geraci chamber the gun and have know of guns in both calibers that were cut with the same reamers this one will and they shoot REALY well so I know that both reamers are proven.
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
Molon Labe

Unread 02-01-2008, 11:37 PM
Platinum Member
I have heard the 6x47 is a getting more popular and performing well. I think it depends on how often you are going to shoot F-Class compared to varminting.

If your going to shoot F-Class a bunch, I would probably go with the 6x47. However, if you are going to use this rifle more for varminting, I would go with the 243 AI because of the following reasons;

1. Better Performance, about 500fps more using the 243 AI with all bullets.
2. More load information
3. Better kill power at longer ranges
4. Better Re-Sale value

Here is a quick VELOCITY comparison between the 6x47 and the 243 AI using a 28" barrel and the 105grn Berger VLD ;

1. 6X47-2700fps
2. 243 AI-3300fps

As you can see there is a big velocity difference between the two.

The 243 AI will perform well in F-Class too. The 6x47 will perform well as a varminter, however, it lacks the punch of the 243 AI.

Go with the 243 AI, I think you will be much happier with its performance at F-Class comps and long range Varminting.

Good luck!

Unread 02-01-2008, 11:56 PM
Silver Member
I'd go 243 AI or maybe even just 243. Check out this info on 243 and 243 AI if you haven't already .243 Win + .243 AI Cartridge Guide

Unread 02-02-2008, 01:06 AM
Gold Member
I'm struggling with the same decision, but I leaning real hard towards
the 6x47. Mostly due to no fire forming and maybe a little longer barrel life...
I will say I think you will be happy either way you go. I do not believe one is capable of more accuracy than the other.

best to you and your project,

without God their is no hope for this country
Unread 02-02-2008, 02:01 AM
Silver Member
Since you asked...
I would go with the 243AI because of cheaper cases, better resale, higher velocity, and accuracy is a wash.
Unread 02-02-2008, 09:38 AM
Platinum Member
I think its gonna be a 6x47 , like Nate mentioned ,the no fire forming possibly longer barrel life and if in the end I'm not happy with it I can easly knock and inch off the barrel and rechamber to 243Ai not the case with 243Ai to 6x47

Besides from what I have seen with the quality of the Lapua brass in the past 100 piecs should last most of the barrels life unless I get stupid with the pressure which is likely not to happen since this rigs main reason is tight groups.

Thanks fellas.
Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
Molon Labe
Unread 02-03-2008, 01:06 PM
Gold Member
I can offer some tips with this cartridge.

I have the distinction of being the first guy to ever fuss with this in the US.

When I first learned of it I made contact with a man who lives in Switzerland and Florida. He'd pick up once fired brass off the ranges of the Swiss National Team and mail them to me.

I had chamber and resize reamers made at PTG and off I went. . .

Have done a few guns in this. The first was a bolt gun and it shot real well, the second was a L/H AR-10 that I built. It's initial testing was done at the Wittington Center in Raton, NM and it shot an 8X clean back at the 1K on the Tubb range out there.

Pretty cool little cartridge. I still have about 500 pieces of genuine 1st run RUAG brass.

I've shot the full gamut of heavy 6mm bullets and the Hornady stuff seems to work real well with my reamer. I used 4831 SC and Federal GM210 primers.

The one thing that kinda bugged me was we were always a little short on the velocity. RUAG loaded their stuff to a velocity I could never quite get to. I ran about every powder I could through it and just always came up a little short.

I don't know that others have had this issue, so I wouldn't let it discourage you.

The first RCBS dies left a little to be desired, they were quite small and would really work the brass hard. They'd rattle in the chambers like a marble in a coffee can. I made my own sizing dies from scratch with a sizing reamer from PTG.

The newer 6.5X47 looks real promising too. That small rifle primer is a nice touch.

Well, hoped this helped. One thing that was a bit of a pain was getting it to feed right in a bolt gun. The AR stuff was easy, but man I played some hell with it in the Model 70 P64 Winny that I did the first time I built one.

Experience is never cheap right?

Good luck.

Chad Dixon