Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Chambering / reloading question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2014, 07:04 PM
Silver Member

Re: Chambering / reloading question

I just don't get why you want someone else to develop the load. Developing loads is the all the fun in this sport. That is why I have 55 rifles of currently uncounted calibers. There is no doubt that the process of load development can make you tear your hair out at times, but that is the case with any sport. But having a custom rifle built and then paying someone to develop a load for you when you intend to start loading yourself is like buying a new set of golf clubs and paying someone else to play with them. Buy the rifle, whichever caliber, and have the satisfaction that you have done the homework and the hands-on work to come up with a load. Yeah, the first few loads may measure a couple of inches, but then all of a sudden you hit it just right and shoot a half inch or less group. That is incredibly satisfying and the reason I have so many rifles and calibers including several wildcats. Once I solve the puzzle for a caliber then I have to try something new. Frankly, if I buy a new rifle, take it to the range, and the first box of shells all group about half an inch, I am disappointed. There is no challenge. Don't buy a nice rifle and then let some other guy have all the fun with it.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:48 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old teacher View Post
I just don't get why you want someone else to develop the load. Developing loads is the all the fun in this sport.
I work and my wife works....we have a 4 yr old and an 8 yr old. Lots of stuff going on, so if I start reloading I have to give up something else. I have convinced myself that if I spend minimal time reloading it is not a big deal, and it opens the door to many more calibers.

If I had unlimited time then I would tend to agree with you. But I don't...so I would rather pay someone to develop a load and then start outer reloading to those specs. There will always be more bullets to develop a load for, and more guns and calibers as well.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:25 PM
Silver Member

Oregonian: New information. You did not say you had two young children. Since I was a teacher for 31 years, hence the "Old Teacher" handle, now I understand your situation. Quality time with your kids is the most important part of your life right now. What you do now determines what high school teachers like me will see in a few years. Scratch everything I previously wrote. You are on the right course and now I understand why you cannot put many hours into developing loads. Us old guys can spend five hours on the bench solving a problem, but as I just said, quality time with your family is number one on your list, and I am happy to see that you view it that way. Good luck with your rifle, whatever load you end up with, and all my best wishes to you and your family.