Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Chamber neck dimention for 6.5-06

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2013, 01:44 PM
Silver Member

Chamber neck dimention for 6.5-06

Hi all, I am having Hart rebarrel a rem 700 LA to 6.5-06. I have bought some 30-06 Lapua Brass and was just going to size it with a .270 die and then a 6.5mm-06 FL die. so I have a question about what size I should have them make the neck of the chamber? I have heard that you might want it one or two thousandths bigger if you ware working the brass down instead of up? any comments or suggestions?
Thanks
Old 10-09-2013, 08:51 AM
Silver Member

Re: Chamber neck dimention for 6.5-06

If you're not in too much of a hurry you could size some brass and make a few dummy rounds with whatever bullet you plan to use seated to fit your mag and send them to ptg. They can make you a min spec reamer based off your dummy rounds.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:10 AM
Silver Member

.284, Thanks for response, I never thought about going from the case to the reamer, only the other way around. it sounds like a really good idea! it also sounds really expensive!! I guess what I was thinking I understood from some other guys was that if you are starting with 25-06 brass or even 270 brass, you might want a different neck size than if you are starting with 30-06 brass because there is going to be more brass in the neck area to ream away. Again, this is my first custom build so I am not very adept here. seems like I have seen different neck sizes on different rifles and wanted to make sure it didn't have to do with the brass you were starting from. if not, I am really interested in knowing why there are different neck sizes for the same cartage/caliber?
Old 10-09-2013, 09:39 AM
Silver Member

It will cost about 100$ for the ptg if I remember correctly and your gunsmith use 30-06 or similar go no go gauges which I'm sure they will have so you won't need to buy those.

You may have a thicker neck by sizing down, Im not 100% sure. You will have to trim though. I neck up 25-06 brass and there's no need to trim for a while.

You could also prep some brass and measure the diameter of a few loaded dummy rounds and compare that to the reamer you were going to use.

People use tight neck reamers to reduce the possibility of the bullet entering the rifling slightly off centre and to hold the cartridge more aligned with the bore before firing. Unless you're planning to shoot bench rest I wouldn't worry too much about all that though.

I don't shoot bench though so some else may have a better explanation on tight neck chambers.

My 6.5-06 does not have a tight neck chamber and its shoots great but if you're going to shoot bench and chase groups by the .1 that may help but that game is outta my league
Old 10-09-2013, 05:07 PM
Silver Member

That makes sense on the neck size. I suppose it doesn't matter then what the neck size in when they run the reamer in. I was planning to ream the brass because most guys that I have talked to say when you go from the 30 to 26 cal. you will have more brass in there than you want. they also said that if you ream, you will have more contact between the brass and bullet which helps the bullet leave the cartridge straight (if that makes sense?)
Old 10-09-2013, 07:38 PM
Gold Member

I have 3 tight necked custom chambers: 6.5 rem mag, 280AI & 338 RUM

I don't have to neck up or down since I use brass that is made for these calibers, so my experience may be less applicable

But I don't understand why you are "reaming" rather than "outside neck turning". Outside neck turning is much easier to control and even though I have the capability to ream, I very seldom do it.

All of the chambers are tight enough so that I have to do a complete outside turn in order for the case to chamber

6.5 - .293"
280AI - .313"
338RUM - .366"

In all of them I turn for a chamber clearance of .003" which is tight but enough for hunting purposes

.293"-.003"=.290"-.264"=.016"/2=.013" per side

The Remington brass averages .015" or so
Old 10-09-2013, 10:05 PM
Silver Member

Woods, thanks for the responce. So I am confused. if you wanted to get your outside dimention to a specified measurment, why not have a custom die made? I suppose if you turn the outside, you might eliminate some (or all) runnout? that sounds like a nice bonus. I actually havent done it yet. it takes Hart 10 months to kick out a chambered barrel, So I am still waiting. I bought a Wilson trimmer and a reamer but you think an outside neck turner would be the way to go? can you explain why you went with a tight neck? I dont understand that. should I have my barrel chambered with a tight neck? what would help me know it was the right or wrong decision? Thanks for the help