Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Chamber Concentricity

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2008, 05:33 PM
Silver Member

Chamber Concentricity

I had the good fortune to receive a Sinclair concentricity gage for Christmas. Unfortunately when doing some measurements of loaded and fired rounds I found my 25-06 brass to consistently read out .005 or more, loaded rounds were .002 to .003 out. Fired brass from my two Weatherbys would just nudge the needle or less than .001

Would this indicate an out of round chamber with the fired rounds being out that much?
Old 12-31-2008, 07:01 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Chamber Concentricity

It is probably not out of round but it is out of alignment. That might not be all of the bad news. The bolt and chamber may not be square with each other. This then causes the head of the brass to get out of square and resizing dies do not fix unsquare case heads.

As long as the rifle is shooting OK I would not get to upset over it in a factory rifle. I have worse and can still coax 0.5 MOA out of it. As long as the deer fall over or whatever then you are doing OK.

If you ever go to a custom barrel on the rifle make sure you have the action trued up to get it square.

P.S

The concentricity gauges are the work of the devil. They make you worry about things you never thought of before and wish you had remained blissfully ignorant.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:33 PM
Silver Member

I'm planning a new barrel installation in the same chambering. Looks like the cost is going up. Now to find a gunsmith interested in doing standard chambers.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:55 AM
Platinum Member

If you want to ship the rifle to a gunsmith then there are
Kirby Allen- APS
Shawn Carlock- DE
Nathan Dagly - SSG
who produce very good rifles.

If you want to drive it to a smith, then there is Eddie Harren between Rockville and Frederick Maryland.
Kevin Cram up above Harrisburg Pa.

Those are the forum sponsors and members who I remember at the moment. If you travel around a lot then there are other options of dropping it off and picking it up.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:49 PM
Silver Member

I was considering the sponsoring gunsmiths. If I understand shipping methods correctly I will need to ship and recieve through a FFL holder or in my case a local dealer. Is that correct.

Any pointers on packing for shippment. I considered an air flight approved gun case.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:49 PM
Platinum Member

There are so many threads about forum members being chased down the street by the police and UPS that I would not want to give you any advice on that.

Select your gunsmith and let him tell you how he wants it handled.

P.S.

None of the gunsmiths I mentioned are going to cheat you nor sell you any work that you do not need. Part of their job is giving you good advice.
Old 01-01-2009, 03:16 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalobob View Post
There are so many threads about forum members being chased down the street by the police and UPS
"Now Thats Funny Right There"...... I think.

You are right check with the gunsmith.