Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Cerakote versus blued????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2010, 10:08 PM
Silver Member

Cerakote versus blued????

I am planning out a rebarrel of a 700 BDL. Will retain the wood stock, as this gun was a gift from my father and I've had it for 30 years. The stock and blueing is in great condition.

It will likely be 6.5-284, 26" heavy sporter barrel.

I'd like it to retain a pretty traditional appearance -- thus the choice of wood and preference for blueing.

But the local place here with the most appeal is GA Precision. They are clearly first rate, but they only do Cerakote.

They are willing to do the action and barrel and let me find someone else to blue it, but before I go that route, I'd like to get some opinions.

Anyone have a nice deep blue or black cerakoted gun with a tradional walnut stock? How's it look?

You think that 20 years down the road, I'll regret not having the traditional appearance?

I am pretty careful with my guns -- the gun currently looks great, but shoots poorly.

Seems to be having one place do the work makes sense, especially having met them etc.... But I'd like the blue too.......
Old 07-14-2010, 10:34 PM
Gold Member

Re: Cerakote versus blued????

Never seen a cerakoted rifle in a wood stock but can tell you the one a friend of mine has isnt a gloss black like most blued rifles are. almost looks like wall texturing but very fine
Savage Target Action 6mm-284
Savage Target Action 6.5x47 Lapua
Savage Predator Hunter Max1 6.5-284 Norma
Savage Predator Hunter Max 1 22-284 Norma
Savage Bear Hunter 338 Win Mag
"Gotta Kill It Before You Can Grill It"
Old 07-15-2010, 07:45 AM
SPONSOR

Coating can cover alot of different materials. Steel, aluminum, brass, Stainless steel. Traditional 'hot blue' is for carbon steel. It takes a special chemical solution to blue stainless and aluminum cann't be 'hot blued' at all. With coatings you don't have to have two different set-ups, one coating fits all. Traditional 'hot blue' requires alot of surface prep. A good job depends as much on pit removal and good polishing technique as it does operating the tanks, maybe more. I've been using Cera-Kote for about 3 years now (and GunCoat for 8). The finish reminds me of some of the AR finishes. I recently re-barreled a 700 ADL in a wood stock, opened the barrel channel, worked out a way to do away with the center screw threading into the center of the action, and pillar bedded it. I used Cera-Kote for the finish (barrel is S.S.). It looked very nice and, most of all, my customer is thrilled with it, too.

Last edited by shortgrass; 07-18-2010 at 07:20 AM.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:26 AM
Platinum Member

I was kind of wondering the same thing. We see lots of newly coated rifles here on the forum but how does it look 5, 10, 15 or 20 years down the road?

Last edited by loaders_loft; 07-15-2010 at 01:12 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:09 PM
SPONSOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by loaders_loft View Post
I was kind of wondering the same thing. We see lots of newly coated rifles here on the forum but does it look 5, 10, 15 or 20 years down the road?
Now I guess that depends on how hard you use your firearms or if they're 'safe queens'.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:38 PM
Platinum Member

cdherman, IMHO definitly get it blued. I'd also consider asking GA Precision to do a turn key on it and have them take it to someone they are confident will do a top notch job on the blueing. If they don't want to do that then I look for a smith who will either do it or have it done for you by someone else.
Old 07-17-2010, 12:40 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortgrass View Post
Now I guess that depends on how hard you use your firearms or if they're 'safe queens'.
what does that mean, really?

Ive seen rust on blued barrels from sitting in the safe.

I guess I was just hoping that someone would chime in that had a cerakote rifle for some time, and what their experience was over time.