Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Cerakote

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2014, 08:16 AM

Cerakote

I recently sent my .308 Browning lever action to JES Reboring and had it rebored to .358 Winchester, I have a Maine black bear hunt I would like to do with the gun. The rifle seems to have some minor pitting on the left side of the receiver, and I am thinking about applying a new finish called Cerakote on the rifle. I can get the blemishes out of the receiver myself before it goes out. Does anyone on here have any information or experience with this finish. All of the testing that I have read shows it to be pretty durable, just not sure about if it is going to do what I want it to do. Any help, info or input would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:10 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Cerakote

I've never heard any negative comments regarding the product itself.

If the product is applied correctly you should have a long lasting durable coating to protect your rifle for decades to come!!
Old 04-23-2014, 03:47 PM
SPONSOR

CeraKote is hardly a "new" finish. It's been the 'go to' coating for the serious for several years now. No coating/finish is indestructable, but this stuff, when applied properly, is pretty close. It can be 'scratched' and sharp edges may exhibit some wear over time. I've been using it, successfully, for the last 3-4 years (the bake-on formula, don't know about the 'air dry').
Old 04-23-2014, 03:56 PM

Thanks for your input. I am on the "maturer side", so for me Cerakote is new stuff, I am used to high polish blued finishes, or packerizing finishes. I have read about the stuff, but never seriously thought about putting it on one of my rifles. Based upon the responses, I am going to have the rifle done. I have a friend who just did a 1911 in the graphite black color and he is very happy with the finish too. The process involves bead blasting and then applying the coating and then baking it. Thank you for your responses and input; much appreciated.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:52 PM
Silver Member

Had a rifle done in 2010 by A Coatings of Az. I hunt with it yearly, there is not a scratch on it. This was the baked on version.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:48 AM

Hello Dosh,

Thanks for your input, it is much appreciated. Just curious about the color that you chose. I pretty much have decided on graphite black, will make the decision when I get to the place that is doing the work. It is a BLR and would like to have it look fairly nice, but still want to protect the rifle.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:17 PM
Silver Member

All their colors are nice, just kinda depends on the stock.

Black stock...black metal is timeless. or go with some matte silver like titanium. etc etc etc.

Myself. Since it's getting coated anyway...I prefer more natural colors. They don't stick out quite as much.

These are two similar colors in a two tone, and the stock was dipped.
With Cerakote on the metal work...the possibilities are endless.

The barrel and action are Smiths Brown. The suppressor, bolt, rail and bottom metal are Federal Standard Field Drab.