Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Centerfire Rifle Cleaning Techniques

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2012, 05:34 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Centerfire Rifle Cleaning Techniques

I used to do the Hoppes, JB bore paste routine until I got my first bottle of boretech eliminator. Now I just follow the directions on the bottle, (not like anybody follows directions anymore); Always use a bore guide, dewey rod and I get great results from this. Every 300 rounds or so I will run a couple patchs of JB wrapped around a jag to get up any carbon fouling the boretech missed.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:13 PM
Gold Member

Hoppes number 9 works for most cleanings... on occasion, some Montana Extreme or Wipeout for the copper.

Most folks clean their barrels too much...

Todd Hodnett thinks so as well... see this video:

I had espoused for years that too much barrel cleaning was actually shortening barrel life--rather than lengthening it. It seems that Hodnett agrees, from his comments in the video.

These "death by unga-bunga" barrel cleaning rituals likely do a lot more harm than good.

Dan
Old 10-05-2012, 10:13 PM
Platinum Member

Very interesting Dan.....

I'm kind of suprised that no one commented about me using non-chloronated brake cleaner.

I set my rifles muzzle angled down and spray it in, in the chamber end with a plastic straw and it comes out gunky.

I was a doubting Thomas myself until one of the shooters in my pistol league showed me how easy it was to clean my Ruger Target Pistol without having to strip it (a royal PITA). Brake cleaner strips out carbon and copper, right now and it's cheap. much cheaper (at Pep Boys) than any spray gun cleaner.

It's just holy heck on plastic and laminate.

Problem is, it stinks and it's hard (dry) on your skin.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:39 PM
Silver Member

Interestingly, I follow Todd's cleaning advice and have emailed him about it. After barrel break in, I only clean carbon with M Pro 7. No copper removal.

Since doing that with my new barrels, all of my guns maintain 0.5 MOA or better.

Kelly McMillan says the same thing.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:04 PM
Platinum Member

I don't like to get to carried away, some of my rifles go longer than others before fowling starts causing accuracy issues. I clean between different bullets also.

Bore guide, Tipton rod and KG product is perty much what I've settled on, a couple soaked patches of KG1 to loosen the carbon then a clean patch and I bore scope. Then I hit the throat with KG2 and run a couple patches down and blow it out with Brake clean, bore scope. Then I hit it with some KG12 to take the copper out and bore scope till it's either at the point I don't care or if I want it 100% I continue with the KG12. Finish it of with a Kroil patch and a chamber mop. The bore scope let's me know how to proceed!! I also will sometimes just use a brush instead of the KG2 to work on the carbon a little, just depends on the round count.
The KG1 is amazing on carbon, I have used just about everything from top end engine cleaner, Brake clean and various solvents to clean muzzle brakes and on my most used rifle the brake had some carbon that just would not come of so I didn't worry about it, the KG1 wiped it of with ease which really surprised me after hammering it with every thing including brushes.
I've been really interested in throat maintenance, I've watched with a bore scope as I shot a barrel out without any attention to the throat and the current one I've given the throat attention when I clean and it's maintained a much better throat and accuracy has been much more even through it's life.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 10-06-2012, 08:06 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
Very interesting Dan.....

I'm kind of suprised that no one commented about me using non-chloronated brake cleaner.

I set my rifles muzzle angled down and spray it in, in the chamber end with a plastic straw and it comes out gunky.

I was a doubting Thomas myself until one of the shooters in my pistol league showed me how easy it was to clean my Ruger Target Pistol without having to strip it (a royal PITA). Brake cleaner strips out carbon and copper, right now and it's cheap. much cheaper (at Pep Boys) than any spray gun cleaner.

It's just holy heck on plastic and laminate.

Problem is, it stinks and it's hard (dry) on your skin.
AR guys do similar with simple spray carbon removers for shotgun. Brake cleaner really isn't that odd. I've even used gumout on semi- auto gshotgun parts if the crap is burned on enough and they are 100% steel.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:33 AM
Platinum Member

At least I don't feel like the only person using brake cleaner on rifles now. I see Savage recommends brake cleaner to keep the adjustable muzzle brake on their 110BA working (adjustable).

Applying Dans regimen of leaving the copper behind for the most part, the brake cleaner is pretty ideal