Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Centerfire Rifle Cleaning Techniques

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 09:20 PM
Platinum Member

Centerfire Rifle Cleaning Techniques

I thought i would start a thread were members could share how THEY clean their rifles, and what works for THEM.

I'll start, i clean with Bore Tech Eliminator and Iosso bore paste.

Step 1: I start by pushing patches soaked in BTE until the patches come out with almost no black color to them (usually 4), then i let the BTE soak for 20 minutes.

Step 2: I push 1 dry patch and 2 wet patches down the bore and let sit for 20 minutes.

Step 3: Repeat step 2, 4-5 Times or until patches come out clean.

Step 4: If the patches are still coming out green/blue after repeating step 2, 4-5 times i take a patch with some Iosso bore paste and scrub the whole bore for about 30 seconds, then push another patch with iosso straight down the barrel without scrubbing. Then alternate between dry and wet patches soaked in BTE, about 4 patches of each.

Step 5: Repeat step 2, 4 more times or until patches come out clean.

Step 6: If patches are not clean, i brush with a nylon brush soaked in BTE 25 times down and back.

Step 7: Repeat step 2, 4 more times or until patches come out clean.

Step 8: If patches are still dirty, repeat step 4 and 5.

Step 9: If patches are still not coming out clean, go visit your local smith for a rebarrel.

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

My guess on W3P .308 230 Grain Bullet: G1 .740-.755
Old 10-03-2012, 07:18 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Centerfire Rifle Cleaning Techniques

I use Hoppes #9, Hoppes elite gel, Shooters Choice copper, Kroil, Powder Blast, and JB bore paste. It really depends on severity of fouling as to what I do, but I'll tell ya'all the main run and also that I do what is necessary to get it down to bare metal, not just clean patches.
1. wet patch with hoppes #9 ( or kroil if severly fouled- kroil will need to sit for a while) and push through bore after and installing bore guide
2. Give 10 reps with brush soaked with hoppes #9 and wipe down cleaning rod( I wipe down the cleaning rod after every 10 reps)
3. wet patch, dry patch with hoppes until clean
4. brush again with hoppes after rinsing bore brush with powder blast and re-wetting with hoppes-- repeat steps 1-4 until most of fouling is out of bore and if copper fouling is obvious switch to combo cleaner (hoppes Elite) after first rep to begin to remove it
5. after cleaning carbon fouling look for copper fouling by using a patch and shooters Choice
6. soak and patch with Shooters choice until no more blue patches and no more visible copper in bore
7. check bore visually to make sure everything is fine and the bore is shiny all the way down. Especially check the throat area as I've dang near filled a throat before on rifles that appeared clean going until patches were still white.
8. stubborn deposits may require jb bore paste and a tight fitting patch if soaking with Hoppes Elite or Kroil doesn't work
9. clean the action and oil and wipe down the rifle with a silicone cloth

Last edited by Lefty7mmstw; 10-03-2012 at 08:55 AM.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:41 AM
Platinum Member

I like to clean down to bare metal too, And what i mean by patches come out clean is no carbon fouling and the patch comes out the color it was when it went in.

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

My guess on W3P .308 230 Grain Bullet: G1 .740-.755
Old 10-03-2012, 02:11 PM
Silver Member

I use bore tech products ONLY, I've tried the others and nothing works as well for me. I start with 2-3 wet patches, let sit for a while then 2-3 dry patches. Alternate until clean. Sometimes I use a nylon brush if the barrel is being stubborn. A little off topic but I have found that solid copper bullets foul way more than jacketed bullets in my rifles.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:46 PM
Silver Member

Before I leave the range, I foam the bore with Gunslick foaming bore cleaner, blug the breech, finger cot the muzzle to keep the chemical from dripping on my foam. When I get to the house, or sometime that day, I start with a batch and a jag and run 1 or 2 to get the chemical out with the loose stuff. I then brush from breech to muzzle. ( I know, its odd, but I remove the brush on every pass, only pushing, nver dragging the dirty brush back over the muzzle) Then patch till a clean patch and repeat until I get clean patches. Once that occurs, I use a wet bore mop with corrosion X to coat the bore till next outing. ( run a patch before shooting)
Old 10-03-2012, 02:54 PM
Platinum Member

Hoppes because my wife likes the smell.....

I tend to use non-chlorinated aresol brake cleaner to clean out the barrel and action before anything else. Just have to be careful with plastic parts. Brake cleaner eats them up, like right now.

I initially clean the bore and action with the barrel pointed downward and a raf at the rnd to catch the ugly colored brake cleaner that comes out. When it comes clear, then I continue with some Hoppes and the snake....

No patches here, in fact no nothing except a Bore snake and the Hawkeye to make sure it's clean inside because you can't be sure if you can't see it.

IMO, most of the elixirs are snake oil anyway. Might as well use something that smells good.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:09 PM
Gold Member

same way I clean my Benchrest rifles
bore guide only
1 piece rod SS or Dewey type
patch w/ TM copper remover, why, because it don't stink (wife mandates)
patch til no copper shows
JB bore paste if needed on nylon brush (the stuff in the tube not the round jar)
Balistol oil after cleaning w/ the other two patch till dry