Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

CEB 140grn G10 MTH & 6.5 WSM-

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2013, 11:19 AM
Platinum Member

Re: CEB 140grn G10 MTH & 6.5 WSM-

Quote:
Originally Posted by benchracer View Post
With the excellent experience you have had with the Bergers, what is your expected application for the CEB's? Put another way, what sort of advantage are you looking for from the CEB's?
Not really looking for an advantage from them, just something interesting and new, the bore rider is interesting to me and I'm seeing some good things about it. The CEB does not seem to be an overly hard bullet and it has no tip, all things I like so we'll give them some air time. I like to try to give things an honest try and be open minded before deciding if something is just Koolaid or brings the goods!

I'm also interested in keeping up to date with the best of the copper bullets just so if I or someone I know has to shoot them in some area I won't get caught flat footed and I can pull a bullet out that I've already proven.

To get an advantage over the 140 Berger you'd have to add weight and that is why we've done so much with the 155 Cauterucio last year and this year we'll see if the Matrix can bring it, really just looking for better action on elk at far end of a 6.5's effective range.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 07-01-2013, 12:08 PM
Gold Member

In my view, the .375 and .338 diameter CEB's offer some very clear advantages over other available bullets. I have been looking at the smaller diameter bullets and wondering where they would fit in terms of performance. If I had a 6.5 capable of generating enough speed to make normal cup and core bullets impractical, a monometal bullet would be the obvious choice. Other than that, I hadn't really been able to come up with an application for the smaller bore CEB's.

I am curious to see what you learn from your experiments regarding ballistic and terminal performance of the CEB's and the Matrix bullets. I am particularly interested to see how they perform on larger game like elk.

I find this all very stimulating and enlightening. Thank you for sharing your results!
Old 07-11-2013, 10:55 PM
Platinum Member

Shot the last of the CEB 140's last weekend, I got decent accuracy at 1030 yards around a half MOA till I got a wicked switching tail wind. I wanted to get one of the last couple into water jugs but I was on one side or another, couldn't hit that stupid jug for anything but I did dig up a bullet which was interesting. Impact speed was around 1930 fps and I found the bullet about 2in under the dirt standing straight up after going through a 2x6, bullet was a banana with zero opening which kinda bummed me out, this is the only bullet other than a Barnes that I've not had open at this berm. Unfortunately won't be going hunting with the CEB's, gotta have a bullet that will have a hope of opening at long range.
CEB 140grn G10 MTH & 6.5 WSM--044.jpg

I also whacked a 3/8 steel plate at 600 yards, coolest thing I've seen! The CEB was caught by the plate which was interesting, we've shot through this plate many times with 140 Bergers and 160 Matrix which blow half inch holes through it.

CEB 140grn G10 MTH & 6.5 WSM--037.jpg
CEB 140grn G10 MTH & 6.5 WSM--039.jpg
CEB 140grn G10 MTH & 6.5 WSM--038.jpg

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 07-12-2013, 08:46 AM
Platinum Member

BnG, once again it is proven there are short range bullets and long range bullets. Also the Myth that a bullet has to hold together to penetrate. I shoot what works best for me at long range yet still work well at short range.

Your findings here should be interesting to some and hopefully will help them decide for them selves.

Jeff
Old 07-12-2013, 09:46 AM
Platinum Member

That is very interesting & somewhat disappointing. It's unfortunate that you don't have any more CEB's to test. I would like to see more of a test than what we have here. The preliminary results are definitely unsatisfactory but I don't think i'm being unfare when I use the word inconclusive in the same breath.

I wouldn't think the 130's I use would be constructed differently.... Was there any expansion testing at closer ranges? My thought on the steel plate test is that the bullet actually started expanding sooner than the Berger or Matrix explaining your results.

If my rifle would stabilize them I wouldn't be hesitant to test more, call me curious.

How much velocity different between the CEB & Berger?

Your results really do get my wheels turning

t

Old 07-12-2013, 01:18 PM
Platinum Member

Interesting. The banana shape is usually indicative of tumbling and instability which would not be conducive to opening. I would say the 140's are on the edge of stability from a 1:8 twist barrel and at long range don't maintain terminal stability. I'll be testing both the 130's and 140's from a 1:8 at various ranges and velocities. It should be noted that CE recommends a 1:7 twist for the 140's.

Thanks for the report BnG

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 07-12-2013, 01:58 PM
Platinum Member

It is only one bullet but if it didn't expand after going through a 2x6 and into solid dirt that means it had two good chances to expand and blew them both at 1000 yards and 1900 fps. So those results count as double Outlaw... So can we say the results were double conclusive on that one bullet?

Jeff