Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

CEB 140grn G10 MTH & 6.5 WSM-

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2013, 03:11 PM
Platinum Member

Re: CEB 140grn G10 MTH & 6.5 WSM-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
A short update, I shot 8 140 CE's at the shoot in Townsend over an Oehler 35 with a Magneto speed also strapped on and they showed some very good signs though nothing was shot at paper. I had them loaded over the same load I use for other 140 bullet in my 6.5 SS, they ran an average of 3140fps which is 37fps slower than other 140s which I expected because of design and a touch more powder would bring them up. Shots over the crony at 200 meters yielded a nice tight group, I shot what did not go over the cronies at 752 yards and they were right in there with the other bullet I had loaded, did not see any weirdness. The numbers and shooting was interesting enough I'll work up a load and put them on paper till they destabilize or fall in the dirt

That's really good news, thak you for the update. I am looking forward to your results.

t

Old 06-30-2013, 10:57 PM
Platinum Member

Loaded 15 rounds of the CEB 140's under 57gr of H4831 in my 6.5 SS loaded at a 3.010 COAL, shot them all over a Magneto speed at 100, 600, 1030 and 1320 yards average velocity was 3147 with an ES of 24fps. All that hit paper were nice round holes, over dialed and shot most just over the top of the target, definitely stable in the 1-8 twist Benchmark!

Station pressure was 24.56 and temp was 84 degrees. My trajectory matches very well on a .306 G7 BC but I need to put all shots on paper now to refine that number, I guessed a lower BC and it looked like I was on paper but I only caught a few that were at the top, there was a nice group in the dirt behind the target a ways but that doesn't do much good.

I've got another 15 or so to shoot but I think I may get my hands on some more for hunting season, of all the copper bullets I've shot these are the one's that I like the most and I'd like to get them on game to see if that will hold true for terminal performance as well. I also noticed very little copper fowling, which makes me happy, happy, happy!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 07-01-2013, 04:24 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Loaded 15 rounds of the CEB 140's under 57gr of H4831 in my 6.5 SS loaded at a 3.010 COAL, shot them all over a Magneto speed at 100, 600, 1030 and 1320 yards average velocity was 3147 with an ES of 24fps. All that hit paper were nice round holes, over dialed and shot most just over the top of the target, definitely stable in the 1-8 twist Benchmark!

Station pressure was 24.56 and temp was 84 degrees. My trajectory matches very well on a .306 G7 BC but I need to put all shots on paper now to refine that number, I guessed a lower BC and it looked like I was on paper but I only caught a few that were at the top, there was a nice group in the dirt behind the target a ways but that doesn't do much good.

I've got another 15 or so to shoot but I think I may get my hands on some more for hunting season, of all the copper bullets I've shot these are the one's that I like the most and I'd like to get them on game to see if that will hold true for terminal performance as well. I also noticed very little copper fowling, which makes me happy, happy, happy!

What twist barrel are you shooting these from?
Old 07-01-2013, 08:55 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Thanks BNG, I was pretty optimistic that they would stabilize in the 1-8. Mine was just a half twist too slow . I was happy with the on game performance of the 130's & i'd be willing to bet the 140's will fair even better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benchracer View Post
What twist barrel are you shooting these from?

1-8"

t

Last edited by Outlaw6.0; 07-01-2013 at 11:08 AM.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:40 AM
Gold Member

If this bullet turns out to have a bc somewhere in the range of the 140 AMAX and 140 Berger, and stabilizes in an 8 twist, I might have to give it a try. It would be nice to eliminate having a short range load and a long range load.

I will be following your progress with great interest!
Old 07-01-2013, 10:35 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benchracer View Post
If this bullet turns out to have a bc somewhere in the range of the 140 AMAX and 140 Berger, and stabilizes in an 8 twist, I might have to give it a try. It would be nice to eliminate having a short range load and a long range load.

I will be following your progress with great interest!
You don't need two bullets with the 140 Berger, shot piles of game with them from spitting distance to the 600 yards range and they are flawless.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 07-01-2013, 11:00 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
You don't need two bullets with the 140 Berger, shot piles of game with them from spitting distance to the 600 yards range and they are flawless.

That's good to know. With my .264WM, I have worked up a 140g Partition load for use to 400 yards or so and had planned to use AMAX's or Bergers beyond that. If I can just use Bergers, I would prefer to do that. I just bought the rifle last year and haven't taken any game with it yet, so I don't have any first hand experience to gauge terminal performance.

Given that it has a 9 twist, I couldn't use the CEB's in it anyway. That will have to wait for the next barrel. My 6.5-284 has an 8 twist, though, and could be a candidate for the CEB's.

With the excellent experience you have had with the Bergers, what is your expected application for the CEB's? Put another way, what sort of advantage are you looking for from the CEB's?