Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

CCI 250........click

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 09:53 PM
Platinum Member

CCI 250........click

It is a long unfortunate hunting story that I prefer not to get into now, but I have a question for you all about primer failure.

I started using CCI 250's a few years ago when I was unable to get Federals. Now just a couple of weeks ago I had one not go off and lost a mulie of a lifetime.

What I want to know is if others have had this problem and if I should send it into CCI to have them tell me why I lost my trophy.

Thanks for your input.

Steve
Old 12-05-2012, 09:59 PM
Platinum Member

Re: CCI 250........click

Sorry to hear this Steve. For what it's worth I have used 1000's with no issues at all.

Jeff
Old 12-05-2012, 10:37 PM
Platinum Member

That stinks. I have also never had one not go off either. CCI is the only primers I use.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:45 PM
Gold Member

Are u sure it wasnt a rifle malfunction? Or weather related.. temp can effect a round if it gets down past 0 degrees sometimes. Have u measured ur firing pin.. make sure its getting good contact everytime..
Old 12-05-2012, 11:02 PM
Platinum Member

Bummer! I too had very good experience with CCIs.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 12-05-2012, 11:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnMT View Post
It is a long unfortunate hunting story that I prefer not to get into now, but I have a question for you all about primer failure.

I started using CCI 250's a few years ago when I was unable to get Federals. Now just a couple of weeks ago I had one not go off and lost a mulie of a lifetime.

What I want to know is if others have had this problem and if I should send it into CCI to have them tell me why I lost my trophy.

Thanks for your input.

Steve
I read your post and just smiled. Primer failure rifle failure or operator failure doesn't make any difference. I'm assuming when you say a buck of a lifetime he was probably over 30 with crap hanging everywhere and you had him dead but he survived. Been there done that more than once. He put the "bad ju-ju" on you and your stuff and pulled it off. Big old bucks are good at that but eventually you will win and man it's good when it comes down!!

CCI and Federal are the primers I use and yes have had a few miss fires over the years.

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 12-05-2012, 11:18 PM
Platinum Member

Perhaps I will have a smith check the rifle before I send the suspect into CCI for their explanation.

Where it really went wrong was the firing pin hit hard enough to stick the bullet in the lands and out came an unfired case full of powder. Now I could not run another. Neck tension was very light on the Cutting Edge so I was running as a single shot. Chamber was cut for a crush fit so the case is not loose in the chamber.

Steve