Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

a cause for horizontal stringing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2007, 09:31 PM
Chawlston

Re: a cause for horizontal stringing

[ QUOTE ]
assuming that the fella knows how to shoot, the wind wasn't enough to make that difference and there are no bedding problems, I'd suggest the following.

Be careful of the sign language here [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

I've noticed that with the last several rifles I've tuned loads for that when it strings verticle (|) Increase the powder a couple of steps to see if the group switches to Horzontal (-). If not go the other way with the powder charge.

Once those two points are found then somewhere about half way between, velocity wise, you shout get a group.(*).

I've done this after ladder and OCW tests and seems to be stable across a fairly large ambient temperature spread.

This is a recent discovery and am wondering if it may be a 'false' node kind of thing. But so far, so good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tuning seating depth and/or neck tension works as well.

James