Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Case run out

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2003, 07:18 PM

Case run out

Hey guys,

I have had a major problem with run out (croked necks) for a long time. Can anyone help me with how to avoid any run out all together or fix a loaded round that has run out? I have tried various neck sizers and full case sizing. Full case sizing works the best if I turn my necks down enough to where I dont need an expander ball. I still get some run out sometimes this way. I also have a Redding competition bushing die neck sizer only. I get lots of run out here most of the time and a little all the time. My bullet seater seats bullets straight all the time if my necks are straight. The problem is, they are hardly ever straight.

Help please?? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Thanx
Old 10-19-2003, 09:34 PM
Silver Member

Re: Case run out

Have you checked the runout of a fired case?
Old 10-20-2003, 08:59 AM
Silver Member

Sand down the expander ball.

run the die in until it touches the shell holder when the ram is at TDC. Tighten the lock ring, run a case into it,..then while it is in the TDC position,...loosen the decapping stem, start the ram back down until you feel the expander inside the neck, and while it is inside the neck, tighten the decapping rod lock ring. This should give about as square a case as the press and die are capable of. This is my experience,..many other members with more time at the bench may have a better way.

[ 10-20-2003: Message edited by: JustC ]
Old 10-20-2003, 07:17 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

[ 10-20-2003: Message edited by: Michael Eichele ]
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 10-20-2003, 07:50 PM

Thank you for yor replies,

My fired cases do not have any run out, and I gave up on expander balls along time ago. I will probalbly try lining up my dies a little better.