Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Case neck turner,suggestions please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2007, 04:50 AM

Case neck turner,suggestions please.

Hi Folks,im looking to buy my first Neck Turning tool.I was looking at a Sinclair or Wilson.Then i read a bit, was pointed towards K&M finally, after more reading i think i want a Don Nielsen system. Where can i get one. The U.K still sucks for supplies.Im doing .308 Win possibly .243 but i think it may be a bit overkill.Im using all Lapua brass,Cleaned primer pocketed ,Flash hole uniformed.I have also just re annealed some .308 after 6 firings.Does anyone else bother.? P.s none of my rifles are posh just primarily for hunting.Cz550 and Steyr SSG.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:52 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Case neck turner,suggestions please.

I am in the same situation. I load for 22-250, 308, 30-06, 300 WSM and 325 WSM all factory rifles. I purchased a RCBS turner that attatches to the case trimmer because it was only an additional 30 dollars. I am most definately not satisfied with the results. This thing wrecks cases, is hard to use, and it isn't verry consistant. The cutter moves loose once in a while causeing a jam resluting in a wrecked case. Go with a more precise system then this one!
I honestly cann't speak to the results of turning because I was primarily turning 30-06 and my barrel was shot out(I later found out).

I have heard it is only criticle to turn if you want to use a compatition style die set that uses carbide inserts to adjust the tension you are putting on the bullet. Or if you have a rifle with a super low tollerance for the throught. I am just very anal about loading and try to do as much as I can to "perfect" my loads (I am by no means a perfect loader though lol!)
hope this helps.
Britz
Old 03-18-2007, 06:31 AM
Platinum Member

If you are using Lapua brass in factory barreled rifles a neck turner isn't necessary. Lapua brass is rather consistent to begin with and the slight improvement that you may be able to achieve in neck wall thickness will not be measurable in group size when shooting most factory rifles. Thinning the necks too much is likely to introduce problems, rather than eliminate them.

IMO, forget the neck turner.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:09 AM
Gold Member

It is a waste of time to turn Lapua cases.

Enjoy them as they are.

LRH member #23
Old 03-18-2007, 02:21 PM
Bronze Member

I would also agree that neck turning is a waste of time given your description of mostly hunting, unless you have a tight necked chamber and you have to turn. If you have to turn go with the K&M.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is a waste of time to turn Lapua cases.

Enjoy them as they are.

[/ QUOTE ]

in the never ending search for consistancy neck turning is well worth its weight. it dosen't matter who make the case.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:41 PM

Buy the Sinclair it works great and is easy to use. Just make sure you keep everything well lubed.

As far as turning Lapua it sure won't hurt to skim it just enough to knock off the high spots, and yes even Lapua has them.

besides it just a little anal retentive and it will make you feel better. Good luck and good shooting