Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Cartridge selection process.??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2003, 07:14 PM
Silver Member

Cartridge selection process.??

. Did you guys try out the smaller cartridges and find out from experience that they didn't pack the gear to do the job at extended distances or did ya just pick a big magnum and go with it 'cause that's what ya wanted to shoot.??
..I'm just curious.. If I can trust what the loading manuals have in them for comparative purposes there doesn't seem to be a nickel's difference in most of the larger cartridges.. And most of the smaller magnums don't seem to beat out their '06 based counterparts enough to warrant the extra hassles.(i.e. .280AI vs. 7 Mag, .264 WinMag vs. 6.5 '06..)
.. Tell me what it is I'm missing.. TIA.. JiNC
Old 03-10-2003, 11:19 PM

Re: Cartridge selection process.??

Hello Jake,
I guess the answer to your question would be "Common Sense" EX: Your confronted by a bully . Question, Am I gonna B___h slap this guy or am I gonna Throttle him???? Why dig a ditch with a shovel when ya have a backhoe?
Use the best Tool you have for the job at hand,and RELOAD thats where its at. BUT,BUT, even the meekest of rounds will lay em flat with a well placed shot. (DAVID AND GOLIATH). There has been a lot of ditchs dug with shovels, thats why we have backhoes.
Loading manuals give you safe parameters to work in. But, they never agree one from the other.Each gun is an individual.Speed kills but for the long stuff go heavy(bullet) with a longer barrel.Ya don't want to run to a fight and be out of breath when ya get there, walk and give em all ya got, and remember, ya gotta hitem to killem. The biggest gun on the block means nothing if ya can't hit anything with it.Hope this helped. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-10-2003, 11:28 PM

Howdy Jake,

When choosing a cartridge, I think it is always best to back into the answer. Ask yourself a question, "what does the bullet have to accomplish when it reaches the target?"

We have had excellent success killing deer and antelope sized game out to 1000 yards with the .243 improved. Beyond this range, or when shooting bigger or tougher game, a more powerful cartridge is very useful.

Not just because more terminal effect is needed, but major improvements in wind deflection are very useful for most long-range situations.
Old 03-11-2003, 05:15 AM
Platinum Member

Jake,

I like 338-378's way of thinking for the most part, hence the 416wby of mine. The approach taken with my daugters rifle was the one S1 used because recoil and distance were factors for her, hence the 243.

Generally I'm into the biggest, flattest, fastest shootin, largest selection of LR bullets, type cartridges I can find. Although I have killed more moose and critters with a little 308win than anything still, but hell I hunted with one for over 20 years so it does have some years of use factored into that. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-11-2003, 09:59 PM
Silver Member

..338-378.. Just for arguments sake.. According to the logic presented, it would be better to use a sledge hammer when a brass hammer would have knocked the pin out and not marked the surface.?? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] (Not to mention the ensuing tapering of the mouth of the hole with the punch.! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] )
..Seriously tho'.. I think I have an idea of what you guys mean.. I'm not trying to be a pain.. I'm just trying to extract some good points from you all to argue my case with my local bad influence that happens to be a "terminally practical minimalist".. And a BR PPC fan to boot.. We have regular arguments on wind bucking capability vs. accuracy.. I'm pretty sure that a reasonable medium has to be reached for this particular game.. Which he still thinks is all luck.. I argue the same for short range BR.. Equipment and shooters seem to reach a plateau and after that a fella just has to be mighty lucky to not make a mistake over a 5 for 5 aggregate..
.. I know there's no way to ignore wind but I'm thinking that you can reduce it's effects to the point of not having to guess as much.. If that makes any sense.. He says what's the difference if ya miss by 1 foot or three.. They're all still misses..
..S1.. I think I'm gonna fool around within the confines of my little LRF 1200 for a while with the .280AI and 162gr AMax's.. Seems like a good combo in theory and on paper.. The current goal is to do some plinking and groundhoggin' on out a bit.. Maybe by deer season I'll have a better idea of what will do the trick for me.. But if I keep watchin these videos I'm just gonna hasta have me one of them big bruisers.. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
..Brent..Decisions, decisions.. Which one do ya grab first on the way out the door.?? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I can see the attraction in the small artillery cartridges tho'.. If for nothing else to get a really big splash out of whatever yer plinkin at..!!
JiNC
Old 03-11-2003, 10:30 PM

Jake,
It all boils down to what YOU feel is right for YOU. Don't let any of us fools steer you down a path ya don't want to go. In the end you will know what is the right choice for what ya want to do. Or just build one of each then you'll have all the bases covered.
SR,MSR,MR,MLR,LR,ULR,UULR
[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-11-2003, 11:55 PM
Platinum Member

Hey Jake,

I know you want to hear from everybody else too, but just so you know, I am a little swayed toward the heavy more powerfull side based on a couple close calls with grizzly when I was less than equipt. The first was with my wife, she had the backpack, bloody and all from the day befores kill we'd been using it to get meat out with. Well, we had one come "real" close and all I had was my 308win and three Failsafes in the mag. Needless to say, when the rubber hit the road I was rethinking my choice of cartridges and was actually looking for trees to climb so I didn't have to shoot this monster if it came down to it. He walked off and never bothered us, but THAT experience I never forgot.

The next time I had a run in with one I was in a canoe and only had a Glock 26 9mm and a loaud ass whistle. This grizz came trottin down the bank when he seen us come around the corner. He was a scrawny younger one but was way to interested in us at the moment to matter much, he seen lunch!! We back paddled to the far bank and he finally turned and ran off at about 30 feet away when the whistles freaked him out... BARELY!! Suddenly 10 rounds in my 9mm seemed awfull worthless!! This incident happened the spring right after the other one did. The 338wm's still made me wonder at times how they'd do stopping one in close. I went from them up to the 416wby to be a little safer with packing the kids around hunting with me and all. I feel pretty damn comfortable now.

Last fall I even left the 300wm I had set up for LR at home toward the end of season when I was feeling lucky about getting close to a grizz I had been watching for a few days.

The 416 shoots pretty damn flat all things considered, so I don't worry about how far away the moose are until they start pushing 1000 yards or more. I dialed in the extra clicks on the one just over 600yds, what's a few more to 1000.

I've seen vidios of those rutting bucks down there attacking those hunters pretty feaverishly. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] The groundhawg I'm sure is in the "Low Brush Grizzly" family too, the ones we have up here have to be watched close or they'll attack unprovoked! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] You just may need a 416 or two. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]