Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Cartridge selection for long distance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2007, 07:40 PM
Silver Member

Re: Cartridge selection for long distance

[ QUOTE ]
Inukshuk
This may sound crazy, But buy one box of each and let the gun tell you which one it likes! take good notes and then if you need a stronger bullet for your elk hunt you will know what to expect. No one bullet is best for everything and you will have lots to test and good selection of weights for all uses.

CAM

[/ QUOTE ]

Cam

I agree with you 100%. I have one problem though. I live in the arctic and get ammo once a year, so I sadly can't do that test, so it's as much research as possible and hope for the best. If I lived in the south well hey I'd drop in to a store asap and do lots of testing, But [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 04-16-2007, 07:53 PM
Silver Member

Inukshuk
I'm sure someone will have real world data for you.
If we could get all those bou hunters from the states to leave you there leftover bullets you'd be set [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
what do you shoot most big game or small?
how far is your average shot?
what kind of glass is on the gun?
maybe these answers will help get some more answers.

CAM

PS found this site might help you?
http://www.ballisticards.com/crossref.htm
scroll down and compare some drop and wind

pss one more for some comparison
http://www.federalcartridge.com/ball...arm=3&s1=1
Old 04-17-2007, 06:34 AM
Silver Member

Cam

There is no fixed distance here. It's all open space "Tundra" and my prey would be Caribou and bigger. We do have smaller that I hunt but that's not an issue. I checked your first link which is interesting, and your second link I knew of, which the other companies offer as well. I already have all those ballistic info on the cartridges mentioned except a couple more details which I should have soon. Check my signature for my set-up details. Hopefully this research will benefit others as well.
My scope is an IOR Tactical 3-18X42mm, 35mm tube with illum MP8 reticle.
Right now I'm doing .75"groups at 200 yrds with the Hornady SST and Interbond Light mags which I like as a cartridge, but am having problems getting them. That's why I'm checking for a replacement.

Total weight 14 lbs.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:20 AM
Silver Member

Inukshuk
Bou are easy to kill from what I've seen, it is the bigger that you mention!! Moose, Muskox and bear can be tough!!
Best to stick with a premium bullet.

All the reserch in the world still will not tell you what bullet will shoot best in your rifle!
I have not shot my 06 for 20 years, so I'm not much help to you.
hopefully you can stockup on whats been working and try some new bullets along the way.

The links were just for some quick drop and wind info, sounds like you already had this info.

Have a good summer (both days)!!
CAM