Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Carry rifle weight?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2012, 10:03 PM
Silver Member

Re: Carry rifle weight?

My rifle ended up at 9 lbs (loaded and ready to hunt)....I wish it would have been 8, but it is what it is...new Win M70 in 30-06 with a Vortex scope and McMillan stock.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:56 AM
Platinum Member

There is about a 2 pound difference between my Model 70 sporter, carry rig and my LR rigs that are set up for 1000 yards. That puts them at 9 pounds and 11 pounds repectively. If in doubt about the distance I will encounter, I will bring the LR rig and carry the extra couple of pounds. Over the past few years I have gotten use to the weight. I am currently putting together a 338 that will come in over 13 pounds. The decision will be much easier as to which one I carry all day.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 09-07-2012, 09:51 PM
Gold Member

Ok, all you he man tough guys.......

This is my 14 year old daughter with her 14lb 7 oz 338 Lapua. We are standing on a mountain top in the Gila, NM. 7,000 feet elevation and about a 3 mile hike plus the elevation gain to climb the mountain. And yes, she did pack that!

I hunt every year in this terrain and my typical rifle is a 338 Khan that weighs in at a touch over 17lbs. Add to that a Zeiss 85mm spotting scope and a Bogen tripod along with the typical day pack. Yep, it is a lot of gun and a lot of equipment. But, when I get to the top of the mountain......... I can see it, and I can kill it!

Next time you want to complain about how heavy that 9 pound rifle is, just pull up this picture, put your big boy britches on and quit complaining.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Carry rifle weight?-2012-08-28_18-07-45_638.jpg  
Old 09-07-2012, 11:24 PM
Gold Member

Built myself a lightweight rig on a budget after carrying around my edge last hunting season. It's a 7mag coming in at 6lbs bare rifle. It's not the same as laying behind a 10 or 13 pounder in the fact that's it's not nearly as stable. It takes some practice to shoot a light rig but I feel very comfortable and confident with it.
Savage Target Action 6mm-284
Savage Target Action 6.5x47 Lapua
Savage Predator Hunter Max1 6.5-284 Norma
Savage Predator Hunter Max 1 22-284 Norma
Savage Bear Hunter 338 Win Mag
"Gotta Kill It Before You Can Grill It"
Old 09-07-2012, 11:46 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM416 View Post

This is my 14 year old daughter with her 14lb 7 oz 338 Lapua. We are standing on a mountain top in the Gila, NM. 7,000 feet elevation and about a 3 mile hike plus the elevation gain to climb the mountain. And yes, she did pack that!

I hunt every year in this terrain and my typical rifle is a 338 Khan that weighs in at a touch over 17lbs. Add to that a Zeiss 85mm spotting scope and a Bogen tripod along with the typical day pack. Yep, it is a lot of gun and a lot of equipment. But, when I get to the top of the mountain......... I can see it, and I can kill it!

Next time you want to complain about how heavy that 9 pound rifle is, just pull up this picture, put your big boy britches on and quit complaining.
that gun is bigger than she is ;-} its a good thing its that heavy or it would blow her of the mountain lol ;-}

that is some view from up there
Old 09-08-2012, 10:00 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSteinle View Post
Built myself a lightweight rig on a budget after carrying around my edge last hunting season. It's a 7mag coming in at 6lbs bare rifle. It's not the same as laying behind a 10 or 13 pounder in the fact that's it's not nearly as stable. It takes some practice to shoot a light rig but I feel very comfortable and confident with it.

yes it does but it doesn't mean that you can be accurate with a light rifle. My 270 at 7.5 lbs no bipod just a military sling requires me to dry fire a lot slung up. But that's ok I'm stable with it period. I'm nearly as good with the 270 as I am with the 13+lb 7mag with bipods.
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 09-08-2012, 10:07 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM416 View Post

Ok real question is could you still kill it with a 6lb 243? I can ;)
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe