Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Carry rifle weight?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2012, 02:17 AM
Silver Member

Carry rifle weight?

What sort of weight are the rifles you blokes are carrying?
I don't mean hiking, but just your general walking/stalking guns. All my guns have heavy barrels and varmint style stocks and weigh in at atleast 10lb because I always thought "that's what good rifles have".

But now I'm kind of sick of carrying heavy guns which don't come to the shoulder easily and I think more traditional hunting style rifles maybe just as good.
Rifles made by Gunwerks and Greybull etc don't look so big and heavy and they pull off some good shots. Plus I am a bit over the whole "tacticool" look and might start changing some of my gear back to needs rather than wants.
Old 09-03-2012, 04:24 AM
Silver Member

Re: Carry rifle weight?

i like to keep all my deer guns under 10# thats for sure my latest is right at the 10# mark with scope and loaded

my indiana deer rifle comeing in at 7.5 or 8# being a lever 44 mag ;-}
Old 09-03-2012, 10:05 AM
Platinum Member

8 pounds scoped and loaded. I have one of those 'tacticool' ones that weighs in a 13 pounds scoped and loaded. Fine if you have a lackey or a mule and scabbard. Not fine to trudge around with.

IMO, the other issue is offhanding a heavy gun. The heavier it is, the harder to offhand it is. Heavy guns beg to be on a bipod, wedged in a tree limb crotch or shot prone......not on your shoulder.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:17 AM
Platinum Member

The 270 weighs 7 1/2lbs loaded the 7mag weighs 13lbs. Guess which one goes for long walks around the countryside
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 09-03-2012, 10:58 AM
Platinum Member

My hunting style along with the terrain has changed now that I'm older but when I used to backpack hunt the rifle weighed 8 1/2lbs fully loaded and with the sling on and there were times that felt like a brick. Today the rifle I use is pushing up against 11lbs but the shots are more cross canyon here where I live and I use horses to get to where I want to hunt. Still do half day hikes or so but would not want to carry this rifle on a 3 day backpack trip.

Don't things feel lighter "down under" :-))

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. Sir Winston Churchill.

Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. Einstein
Old 09-03-2012, 10:59 AM
Platinum Member

No brainer Joe.....

6 pounds is a lot of granola bars, bottled water and must have's......
Old 09-03-2012, 12:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcebcj View Post
My hunting style along with the terrain has changed now that I'm older but when I used to backpack hunt the rifle weighed 8 1/2lbs fully loaded and with the sling on and there were times that felt like a brick. Today the rifle I use is pushing up against 11lbs but the shots are more cross canyon here where I live and I use horses to get to where I want to hunt. Still do half day hikes or so but would not want to carry this rifle on a 3 day backpack trip.

Don't things feel lighter "down under" :-))

Exactly. Heavy; heavy barreled rifles are to be "transported" to a location and then used. By horseback...or 4 wheeler...or ?? shot from a blind of some sort; or at least hid by schrubbery or ??...and then the object is retrieved.

Transporting heavy ( barreled) weapons came into play when I worked at getting a combat infantry badge in basic

My long ranger(s) weight in at about 12 lbs MINUS the scope!! Carry arounds about 8 1/2 and I wish it were less.